Song of the South

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Swearingen, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

It is contained in one of the Disneyland television shows on the second disc. I can't recall which one right offhand. I'll try and look at the disc later today and find out.

2. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Removed by RAH.

This post was filled with errors and has been summarily executed.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Something I've always been curious about.... If Song of the South is considered racist and un-PC in today's society and should never see the light of day, then how is Spike Lee still able to release his shit year after year? Maybe if Uncle Remus swore every other word and was sick and tired of being hassled by the man, our twisted society could see this as artistic integrity and not a subversive attempt to slander and stupify a race? [​IMG]
    Really, I'm sick of political correct people and wish they'd shut up and take their toys to the other side of the playground so I can watch just one classic film unaltered "for the sake of PC".
    (Disclaimer: No social activists were harmed during the making of this post.)

5. Antony Jackson

Antony Jackson Auditioning

It was shown on TV in the UK on BBC2 at the end of April, I recorded it onto DVD via the Panasonic recorder and would love to share with US fans.
    Darn copyright laws .... [​IMG]

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

8. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

You know I've never figured out what people say is racist in the film. Looks like none of you have either. I always thought maybe its the tar baby. But no one here has mentioned that. I never even thought of the black people in the film as slaves. They were just workers. Since most of the film takes place as Remus telling a story I can't seem to figure out what is racist in the film. Maybe its the segregation. This whole thing is just dumb. There is nothing wrong with the film.

9. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
  10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I thought RAH was being funny - there was a lot of "antebellum years" attitude following the Civil War...

13. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

The ride at WDW, one of my wife's favorites, is not just about the songs. Each of the main animated characters has a speaking part - complete with stereotypical accents. Given that most of the young folks have never seen the movie, it seems inconsistent to faithfully preserve some of the parts that the naysayers might find objectionable.

Full Disclosure: I love the ride. I saw this movie when I was a very young child and was not able to fully comprehend it. I'd love to own this movie and see it again.

David

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I stand corrected and will simply eliminate my earlier posts.

The last thing I wish to do is confuse the issue.

The original NY Times review speaks of it as being Antebellum...

15. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Maybe I wasn't exactly clear Ted. I'm against chopping up a movie to make it "PC friendly" period. I wasn't meaning all older films have been reworked...I guess I should have worded my phrase a bit differently. It should be up to parents whether they want their kids to see the movie, not Eisner.

But seriously, with all the pure steaming piles of crap released today which are hundreds of times worse than Song of the South could dream of being, then why is there such an outcry that it's unfit to be seen because of the themes it suggests? PC people piss me off.

16. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Selling this film to Criterion or anyone else will not solve Disney's problems . This film is indelibly identified as a Disney production and any complaints will still go straight to Disney despite any other branding on the cover. The general public has no concept or reason to care about video licensing rights. And, despite Criterion's somewhat upscale marketing and target audience, the DVD will still find it's way into thousands or rental stores.

I would still like to see it released, but Disney will gain nothing by licensing it out elsewhere.

17. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

My guess is that if all the hoo-roar surrounding the release of this film were to magically evaporate, it would mainly be seen as quaint, and I don't mean that in a negative sense. Much of what some criticize as "stereotyping" is really archaic to the average person today. Even the "tar baby;" is that term in anything remotely like common parlance today? Even in the early 50s, when I was first exposed to the term in Little Golden Book versions of the Br'er Rabbit cartoon segments, I just took it literally, a little decoy made out of tar. Maybe in the South at that time the term would have been understood, but today? Similarly, the other stereotypes seen (or rather, no longer seen) in cartoons of the period, like watermelon-eating and shooting dice. Would most people today even know they were stereotypes unless someone told them?

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

That's why it should be released as part of the "Treasures" line. I haven't seen any of those in any rental shop.

19. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Can you imagine how fast this would sell out if or when it is for sale in Japan?

20. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Thanks for the link to the article, Reagan.