What's new

Song of the South in 2006 - Jim Hill (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Pretty funny comment from a studio insider in the linked article:

"Which is why I seriously doubt that we'll get all that many letters about "Song of the South" 's racial content. The way I figure it, most kids & adults will be nodding off 30 minutes into the thing. And people who are sleeping can't write letters of complaint."

Great news. I remember reading the Uncle Remus tales of Joel Chandler Harris in the fourth grade, or thereabouts, after a theatrical re-release of this film. It will be interesting to see how it holds up as story-telling and animation.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I hope the "Tar Baby" sequence is intact. I think this is probably one of the most controversial aspects of the film.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
In related news, Michael Eisner disappeared somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle and has been permanently replaced as CEO of Disney by John Lasseter...

Seriously, WONDERFUL news! Let's hope it arrives uncut and in good shape, image-wise.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

After all the hype and bullshit self-conceived controversy, the single most requested catalogue title in their vaults... how stupid would they have to be to than finally after all these years release an edited version.

I'm sure Disney is well aware of the heat they'd catch over something like that, it's not as if this is a release they could just slip under our noses and hope nobody realizes.

There's absolutely no way they could possibly edit this film, and I really don't see what you'd presume might be edited regardless... superimpose strictly white people over everyone in the movie?

There's nothing that Disney could do to this film, other than present some statement of sociological awareness putting whatever nonexistant contentions people don't have over this film, into context.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I agree with this. But, we are talking Disney. They could cut out all the live action, anthologize it to just the cartoon content, cut the Tar Baby sequence, re-voice Brer fox and Brer Bear so not to be so Amos and Andy-ish, and stick it on a disc with other animal cartoons. Really, seeing how they handle some of there classic properties, anything is possible.

BUT! The rumor says "Song Of the South" and the above would be anything but SOTS, so I'm thinking this well come out un touched as a catalog title with minimal hype, like "Computer Wears Tennis Shoes", or "So Dear To My Heart" (maybe? huh? finally? are my hopes getting too high?)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I will believe this the minute I have the disc in my hands and in my player. If true, I've just saved $375 of the $400 I would have spent on the Asian LD of the film. This would be great as part of Wave 6 of Walt Disney Treasures.

So Dear to My Heart (a follow-up to this film) has been planned for release since at least 2001 but nothing has come of it in Region 1.

I can just see them saying, if it is a success, that "this was part of our plan all along." :D

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
For those few of you who don't already have this movie, just get ready for a giant sense of "What the @#$% was all the fuss about?" after you watch it. I tend to agree with the tongue-in-cheek comment abouve about people falling asleep while watching it...hey, that's pretty true, actually. You'd never believe such an innocuous little movie would have ever created such a storm of deabte.

Finally the debate will die!

Praise be!

RomanSohor

Second Unit

You are correct, I should have used the term freedmen or former slaves or something else... I was a little careless with my language.

RomanSohor

Second Unit

I never really understood why people had such a problem with Br'er Fox's voice... to me, it doesn't sound much different than the schtick done by Eddie Murphy or Dave Chappelle... I bet most of the impressionable "littl'uns" that see the movie will end up thinking that Brer Fox sounds like Mushu or Donkey... not Amos and Andy.

Bill Cosby seemed like an interesting choice as a host for the disc, but isn't it true that he owns Amos and Andy and is purposley sitting on it so no one can see it any more? (Or is it an urban legent?)

I would have thought they might have gone with James Earl Jones, who has done a few things for Disney lately, including The American Legends animation anthology. Leonard Maltin is another obvious choice, but perhaps he doesn't have the 'credibility' to speak on the subject?

Another name I thought of was Whoopi Goldberg

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I agree, that is wonderful news. Lasseter makes a much better Disney CEO.

I too am happy. Having heard Ernest point out many times how awful the film surrounded the animation is, I fully expect to not enjoy it, but I'm still getting it. I look forward to the animated scenes. Plus, the film features on the AFI Songs list, so I need to see it.

Now I just need the Gershwin estate to allow Porgy and Bess to be released on DVD.

Shane*M

Auditioning
This is awesome news! I can this this as a Disney Treasures Release, getting similar treatment that the "On the Front Lines" Dvd got last year.

Bravo Disney! ....if this turns out to be true!:frowning:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Such excellent news. My mom and both of my sisters are excited about this release so that's four copies pre-sold to the Zimmer clan.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Really hard to believe, but Disney does seem to be coming around. Just look at the Tin for the Disney at War cartoons. There were some pieces on there that seemed likely to never get released as well.

I like the film. Sure its not the best thing ever, but its got that classic Disney warmth I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks