What's new

Song of The South Disney Web Page & discussion on why this film needs to be released (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...perhaps having someone with directing experience and stature, such as SPIKE LEE doing an introduction to SOTS would be the way to go (assuming he would)

That would be a gas....!

But, please, not James Earl Jones...he's kind of... over-utilised these days..

Kind of strange that for a film thats too contoversial to be released, that it already has SPARS codes assigned-(ISBN and UPC) Maybe they have a warehouse full waiting for sale, and just want to test the waters...this shows that they are seriously considering it, at least...

and I just noticed it has CC and Dolby 2.0-so yes, they are getting ready...

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
:star:
Please get everyone you know to send this feedback to Disney!!! I believe that the "Disney Treasures" collection is the exact vehicle that they have created to get Song of the South on DVD. The precedent has already been set with many of the unedited Mickey cartoons that might have otherwise sent the "PC crowd" into a tizzy.
The biggest hurdle in getting Song of the South to DVD will be Roger Ebert, who has a lot of clout in Hollywood. He already had a whole editorial on how he finds the movie offensive and why it should never, ever be released. That's right, ... Roger Ebert -- movie critic -- believes that he is also the officially anointed classic movie censor (a.k.a. "Movie Gestapo"). It made me sick listen to him deliver his emphatic and misguided opinion on the subject. The result is no less sinful than having a bookburning party. :frowning:
When I saw this movie as a child, I never found any of it racist or fostering racist attitudes in any way. As a matter of fact, the loving relationships between the black and white characters made a lasting impression on me at that young age. I have had dozens of inter-racial friendships over the years, including my college roommate (who was black) -- so obviously, Song of the South doesn't turn kids into card-carrying Ku Klux Klan members. I think that it had a very positive effect on my attitudes toward race and people in general.
Here's the link again:
http://psc.disney.go.com/disneyvideo...s/0153103.html
WHEN YOU GO TO THE DISNEY SITE, PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND VOTE TO HAVE SONG OF THE SOUTH ON DVD BY CLICKING ON THE "click here" PORTION ON THE LEFT-HAND SIDE OF THE SCREEN:
If you would like to see Disney release this in the future on video and DVD, click here to let us know.
I didn't see that message when I first went there and ended up surfing all over the Disney site looking for the feedback section. Don't make the same mistake that I did.
:b

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
The link above was just to provide feedback and to request the DVD. There are other links to actually vote for "Song of the South" as one of your Disney favorites. To make it easy for us home theater enthusiasts, I've provided links to the appropriate voting sites.
Vote for "Song of the South" as your, ...
Favorite movie of the 1930s and 1940s:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo...s/30s_40s.html
Favorite animated movie:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo.../animated.html
Favorite musical:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo.../musicals.html
Just click on either of the links above to vote and select "Song of the South" from the drop-down menu on the RIGHT-HAND SIDE of the screen. By letting Disney know that this movie is your favorite, it may help to bring it ultimately to DVD.
Favorite classic animated character:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo...edclassic.html
(select "Brer Rabbit")
For those of you who love "Song of the South," here's another link to a site whose sole purpose is to preserve it:
http://www.songofthesouth.net/
It's a great site -- I believe that it will have a big impact on whether we ever see "Song of the South" on DVD.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
My votes...
Top Ten Musicals - Song of the South (currently at #2!)
Top Ten Live Action Comedies - Gus :D (not in the top ten :frowning: )
Top Ten Animated Films - Song of the South (currently at #2!)
Top Ten Drama/Adventure Movies - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, #1 :D
Top Ten Movies of the 30s and 40s - Song of the South (currently at #1!)
Top Ten Movies of the 50s - The Shaggy Dog, #9
Top Ten Movies of the 60s - 101 Dalmatians (no love for the Love Bug, apparantly :frowning: )
Top Ten Movies of the 70s - Dr. Syn, Alias The Scarecrow (currently at #6! That's a nice surprise to me!)
Top Ten Movies of the 80s - Something Wicked this Way Comes (not in top ten)
Top Ten Movies of the 90s - The Rocketeer (not in top ten... WHAT!?!?)
Top Ten Movies of the 00s - Haven't seen any, took Monsters, Inc. on faith :)
Spookiest Movie - Escape to Witch Mountain, #9 (where the hell is Dr. Syn?!)
Favorite Villains - Long John Silver (where the hell is Brer Fox?!? lol ;) )
Favorite Animated Hero/Heroine - Hero; Robin Hood, #7 - Heroine; Mulan, #2
Favorite Classic Animated Character - Brer Rabbit, #2! :) (it hurts to go against my real fave, Donald, but I gotta support the cause :) )
Favorite Fairy Tale - Darby O'Gill and the Little People (not in top ten :frowning: )
In any case where Song of the South, or it's characters were given representaion, I took that choice. In the event SOTS was not represented, I chose something else. In other words, I may actually like a different animated feature or musical more, but went with SOTS to get the darn thing some recognition.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
OK, I sent the request, telling them I already own a VHS copy and would immediately buy a DVD version. Also, taken in its proper time-context, I don't believe there's anything wrong with the movie.
I have high esteem for Roger Ebert as a critic and I simply cannot believe he thinks the movie really has rascist tendencies - it hasn't.
About the songofthesouth.net site: There's something wrong there. It sells the PAL version, but for $120 (including a free NTSC copy). But the tape sells over here for about $22 (about £15 in the UK)!!
It also says Disney have discontinued it - that could be true, but I haven't heard anything about that yet. I'll go and see one of these days if it's still in the shops or not.
Cees
Later: It seems I was right about the availabilty of SotS: easily found here, at HMV's (His Master's Voice) for £14.99 (warning: that's a PAL tape!). "Normally ships in 24 hours."
C.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I put in my vote too, but just to add to this thread, please Disney release this classic unedited. It is a part of film history, and should be treated as such.

Thanks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As a Disney-phile, I added my $.02! :D
I think it is a VERY positive sign that they have posted such a website. Even on Christmas morning's TV production of Walt Disney World's "Very Merry Christmas Parade" they used Jim Baskett's version of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah in a piece celebrating the 100th anniversary of Walt Disney's birth--but no mention of Song Of The South. SOTS has been conspicuously absent from all Disney self-references for the past several years. That's why I think this webpage is very hopeful!

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
My comment was along the lines of "If we can have 'Song of the South-The Ride(Splash Mountain), then why can't we have a DVD of the film the ride was based on?

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Cees:
I had also heard some time back that Roger Ebert "trashed" Song of the South as being racist. That review did it for me and Roger Ebert. Accordingly, I don't read his reviews anymore.:angry:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A usenet search turned up ( at least one of ) Ebert's comments on Song of the South. I recall reading this exact quote in one of his Answer Man segments. You may disagree with his sentiments, but he makes a reasonable argument, IMO...
"I am against censorship and believe that no films or books should be burned or banned, but film school study is one thing and a general release is another. Any new Disney film immediately becomes part of the consciousness of almost every child in America, and I would not want to be a black child going to school in the weeks after "Song of the South" was first seen by my classmates. Peter Schneider, chairman of the Disney Studios, tells me that the studio has decided to continue to hold the film out of release."
- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't always agree with Ebert's opinions about films, but I usually respect what he has to say. However, on Song of the South I think he's way off base. Frankly, I'm at a loss about what little kids would see in this film to make it uncomfortable being a black kid after my white classmates had first seen this film. I think Ebert is way off here.

Now if Disney's new summer film was a musical animated remake of Birth of a Nation that'd be one thing. But a video release of Song of the South? I just don't get it.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Count me in....I'd love to see this movie!
As I mentioned in my e-mail to Disney...I'm an adult and realize that things have changed as I'm sure most everyone does. If movies like Gone With the Wind can be release (yes, I know it may not touch upon the same things that Song of the South does..), then why not this reputed classic?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am just sick of this politically correct

world we live in.

No matter what sort of art form we create,

film we make, or opinion we speak of -- there

is always going to be someone who is going to

be insulted intentionally or go out of their way

to find insult when there is none intended.

Why must we censor history?

Why must we erase the attitudes that came from

a certain period of time that no longer exist in

the present?

Taking Japanese references out of Bugs Bunny

WWII cartoons? Holding back LITTLE RASCALS shorts

or SONG OF THE SOUTH because of the portrayal of

blacks during that period?

This is nonsense!

Why not use these films as an educational tool

to teach others how far we have come in the past

70+ years. A simple introduction and warning on

the front of these videos would cease any liability

the studios had to the product.

Leonard Maltin gave a very warm introduction to

the VHS LITTLE RASCALS SHORTS that had been banned

for years. This gives the opportunity for children

to understand the meaning of its content and parents

the option of whether to let their children watch it.

Like anything else in this world, if there is

material you think you may be offended by -- don't

watch it -- but for God's sake, don't try to stop

others from making their own choices.

It's really sickening that Disney listens to

people like Ebert (who I have just lost all respect

for), and makes a very closed-hearted decision that

this film should not be seen by the general public.

If Ebert were truly passionate about film, he

would understand the historical value of all film

and be a little more open-minded before trying to

condemn a film for everyone.

I'll never read another Ebert review again.

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
First off let me state that I'm happy this thread hasnt (yet) turned into another Disney Bashing playground
I am just sick of this politically correct world we live in
Holy crap did you hit the nail on the head. Ive been feeling that way for years now.
It pisses me off to no end these days that society seems to be going out of their way to look for things to gripe about and get their panties in a knot on. Sorry to say, there are even posts that seem to reflect this sort of thinking, a majority of which are stated in the name of "the Disney Bashing bandwagon". The most recent post is that of the one stating that their are naked ladies and Obscene clowns on the TV in Toy Story 2.
I think Disney and the Walt Disney Company has been the target of more slandering and negative attention by way of the rumormill and its accompanying bandwagon than any other corporation in the public eye (seconded by microsoft of course :) )Personally, I think people need to move on and look for more constructive things to complain about. Now I can understand people voicing opinions over things they question, this can be understood if not condoned, but the tone that these gripes (Im speaking in general terms here not directed toward anyone on the board)take on is like the world owes these people a favor. It doesnt work like that IMO, cant please all of the people all of the time. Passively voicing your opinion in a constructive way is one thing, but this day and age people have forgotten how to do this I think.
As for SOTS, yes I believe this is a classic piece of film history that needs to be released. I can understand Disney's hesitancy regarding its release though, I dont agree with it but I can empathize with there carefulness toward something that has been debated for so long. Obviously something is pushing Disney to think this way, or at least aiding that thought process along. While we here support the one extreme, you must realize that there are others that support the other.
Good ole snopes to the rescue again for some information on SOTS.
http://www.snopes2.com/disney/films/sots.htm
-Damien

E

Eric Kahn

I went and voted for release of "Song of The South" on DVD

the only problem I see it that they will again release it overseas and not in North America

It will just mean that I have to buy a DVD player that can be Multi-region so I can watch it

bill lopez

Second Unit
I don't think Joe6Pack will be offended with SONG FROM THE SOUTH. It's more like the Trouble Man who will use this a shake down to protest the Disney Studio.

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I voted for it even though I'll never buy it. I read Eberts reasons for keeping SOTS underwraps and it reaked(sp?) of censorship. I respect free speech so I felt it was my patriotic duty. I don't want to turn this into a political thread so I'll stop here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.