Sonex Cover Material

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Gaff, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

I recently purchased some Sonex foam panels to tame a few echoes in my home theater. Unfortunately, the wife acceptance factor dropped to a minus 5 when she saw that the foam was gray. Any one have any idea where I can purchase some WHITE acoustically transparent material to cover these panels up?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

can't convince her that its artistic, huh? i don't have any personal experience with sites so all i can offer is to suggest you run a google search on the terms "acoustically transparent cloth" for there are places where you can buy it. The thing is, I have this feeling, mind you just a feeling, that the choices you're going to come up with will still meet with a negative reaction. So another suggestion might be to select some fabric with your wife at the fabric store and put that over it. I truly don't know the negative impact that would have but I don't think its gonna be that adverse. Hopefully others can weigh in with other suggestions. BTW, that foam is fire retardant, no?

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Sonex comes in other colors that don't require you sleep on the couch. For acoustical treatments, you can also look at www.acousticsfirst.com. They make 'Sound Channels' fabric in a variety of colors. The Sonex of course may feel very comfortable placed on top of the couch.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Maybe you should think in terms of area rugs, wall hangings, etc. The fabric store idea is also excellent.

Jan

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You're right Phil, it just doesn't do a good job of attenuating snoring though. of course if you whistle in your sleep...