What's new

Sondheim's "Company In Concert" finally coming to Home Video (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just this week Image acquired the rights to release the filmed concert of Stephen Sondheim's Company. This was an all-star cast lead by Neil Patrick Harris.
It was performed on stage and filmed. This film was then shown in theaters across the country in special showings. For the past year, many people have been asking when a DVD or Blu-Ray of this excellent performance would be released. It looks like, as of this week, things are looking up.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/image-entertainment-brings-an-all-star-cast-and-the-new-york-philharmonic-into-homes-with-the-acquisition-of-company-in-concert-2012-07-30
David.
P.S. To the HTF Moderator, I am not sure if this is posted in the correct forum. If you feel it needs to be moved, please feel free to move it. Thanks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Personally, I'd like to see a more traditional performance of Company released on disc. The "cast as orchestra" version is OK but I'm not a huge fan of that gimmick, or of "concert stagings."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David:

I moved your thread from the Music forum to Blu-ray where I think it is more appropriate. The music forum is mostly for the audio-only variety of music...

I have been waiting for this release ever since attending the Fantom Theater event showing the performance more than a year ago. I chronicled my horrible experience at that event in THIS POST.

Loved the show. Hated the presentation. Would love to get a crack at it on my own system at home in 1080p and a nice lossless soundtrack. Yum.

Sure, I would love more Broadway shows to find their way to disc...but I'll also take any of these spin-offs that I can get.

Aaron: Have you seen the iconic DA Pennebaker documentary chronicling the making of the original Company cast album? Classic.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm so serious about this I just pre-ordered through Amazon.

Price guarantee is locked-in...and I doubt this would ever show up at any brick & mortar store...

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow,
Just Wow.
While my experience at the movie showing wasn't as bad as yours, I did think it could have been improved - with clearer sound, and a better picture. However as the show went on, my sons and I were so caught up in the show, that it wasn't as important by the time the show wrapped.
But like you, I am looking forward to seeing this in my home, with (hopefully) crystal clear audio and truly sharp visuals.
David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/322737/sondheims-company-in-concert-finally-coming-to-home-video#post_3959507
I'm so serious about this I just pre-ordered through Amazon.

Price guarantee is locked-in...and I doubt this would ever show up at any brick & mortar store...
And I'm glad I did. It is currently listed on Amazon at $26.98. I locked in at $20.99.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I went to see this at the theatre but a tornado touched down nearby and the whole multiplex went dark right at the beginning of "Side by Side by Side." Took forever to get home, downed power lines and trees all over the place. Glad to finally get a chance to see it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Eric Vedowski /t/322737/sondheims-company-in-concert-finally-coming-to-home-video#post_3961654
I went to see this at the theatre but a tornado touched down nearby and the whole multiplex went dark right at the beginning of "Side by Side by Side." Took forever to get home, downed power lines and trees all over the place. Glad to finally get a chance to see it.

Oh sure...Eric had to "one up" my story (see post #3) about going to see this in the theater!

This thing is snake-bit maybe...

Glad you guys weren't hurt that night, Eric. Tornadoes must be pretty scary things.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/322737/sondheims-company-in-concert-finally-coming-to-home-video#post_3961697

Oh sure...Eric had to "one up" my story (see post #3) about going to see this in the theater!

Glad you guys weren't hurt that night, Eric. Tornadoes must be pretty scary things.

They are and so are hurricanes. I've been involved with both, and they're scarier than you can imagine.

I am really looking forward to seeing this since I didn't make it to the theater when it played.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mike Frezon said:
Oh sure...Eric had to "one up" my story (see post #3) about going to see this in the theater!  :f
:D
Glad you guys weren't hurt that night, Eric.  Tornadoes must be pretty scary things. 
At least he was going out for something worthwhile (Company). The last time I went out in tornado conditions to see a movie, it was to see Green Lantern.
David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/322737/sondheims-company-in-concert-finally-coming-to-home-video#post_3961909
At least he was going out for something worthwhile (Company). The last time I went out in tornado conditions to see a movie, it was to see Green Lantern.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
What great news!! I was so disappointed to miss this and I couldn't believe there were no immediate plans to release it on home video. I had almost forgotten about it. Thanks for the heads up!!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
this must be better than the Company we alredy have on dvd.
I hated the lead in that one.
Is this new one strictly concert or is it semi staged at all?
Maybe someone will tape the broadway revival of Follies. We could also use a good Little Night Music.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Joe Caps /t/322737/sondheims-company-in-concert-finally-coming-to-home-video#post_3962066
this must be better than the Company we alredy have on dvd.
I hated the lead in that one.
Is this new one strictly concert or is it semi staged at all?
Maybe someone will tape the broadway revival of Follies. We could also use a good Little Night Music.

Well, we've got A Little Night Music from Lincoln Center with Sally Ann Howes. Of course, not on disc, but those of us who had VCRs when it aired made a copy and continue to enjoy it. Too bad someone can't get that released on disc.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I have the Lincoln Center Night o music on tape also, but I don't think its very good.
forget about the movie version - a nightmare.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Joe Caps /t/322737/sondheims-company-in-concert-finally-coming-to-home-video#post_3962177
I have the Lincoln Center Night o music on tape also, but I don't think its very good.
forget about the movie version - a nightmare.
Well, there we differ. I think it's very good indeed.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Company concert disc was released this week. I am watching it now. The staging is good, played in front of an orchestra, but staged with revolving set pieces as furniture and even a bed. Neil Patrick Harris is great. I also liked Cristina "Mad Men" Hendricks and Patti Lupone.
The orchestral arrangements, while different than the original cast recording, are a far cry better than the cast-played recent revival.
If you are a fan of the musical, I think you will like this concert performance.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve:

I sampled my copy Tuesday night and thought it looked and sounded terrific! Better than my Fantom viewing, that's for sure.

I thought it weird that they omitted Getting Married Today from the list of songs on the menu selections. The song is there on the disc (between Another Hundred People and Marry Me a Little). It just isn't listed as a selection on the menu.

I was really pleased with the selections I sampled. So happy to have this production in HD and in such a nice treatment.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I also noticed Getting Married Today was missing from the scene selections. Now I may just watch the Raul Esparza revival for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks