Sondheim's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarkBourne, Jul 21, 2004.

1. MarkBourne

MarkBourne Stunt Coordinator

With the recent releases of Sweeney Todd and the Stephen Sondheim Collection (Into the Woods, Sunday in the Park with George, Follies in Concert, Passion, Sweeney Todd in Concert, A Celebration at Carnegie Hall), I've been expecting my favorite (by a wide margin) Sondheim musical, A Little Night Music to show up on DVD. It's conspicuous by its absence.

The production I'm talking about is not the movie adaptation with Elizabeth Taylor and Diana Rigg, but the New York City Opera's production broadcast on PBS's "Live from Lincoln Center" in 1990.

Does anyone here have any insider knowledge on why that one seems to be still waiting in the wings?

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Lincln center had a contract for some operas and ballets that once showed up through Paramount home video and some of these were on laser. the contract was never renewed. No one has picked up on these for dVD. There was a second batch of operas and performances from Lincoln Center that included the night music.
    I wish there was a better performance around that did this show justice. And the movie is horrifying beyond belief.

3. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I personally, would obviously prefer the Elizabeth Taylor version. Wasn't it supposed to be released several years ago by Image?

Andy

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Image released the 1977 film version on laser disc. It's an appalling transfer and the sound is dreadful. Apparently the film elements are in poor shape and considering the lack of interest in the film, it's unlikely any restoration will be done.

5. MarkBourne

MarkBourne Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information. I'm surprised that there's so little word on what I'd assume would be an obviously DVD release. I recall enjoying the Lincoln Center production quite a lot, and it's been 14 years since it aired.

Ah well. If there's anything I've learned from waiting for DVDs, it's patience.

6. KellyReeVo

KellyReeVo Auditioning

I will buy any Sondheim that is available on DVD. A Little Night Music is also one of my favorites. I still haven't watched my Sweeny Todd, but I am looking forward to many years of enjoyment out of it. More Broadway musical theater in general would be great! NO movie adaptations, please unless they are superior to the OC (not likely)!
    Any chance of the New Broadway Cast version of Cabaret - featuring Alan Cumming and Natashia Richardson? It is my favorite recording of that show, and I would love to see all of the moves that inspire the laughs! :b