Sonatube in Boston Area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc_E, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Hi GUys,
    I am thinking about building a sonasub and was wondering if anyone in the boston area has had success finding a place to buy the tube.
    Additionally,Has anyone had any experience with this driver SAE 1204 12' Woofer from apexjr.com http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html ?
    More questions while I am at it. Do I need a router? I am not a tool guy. Dont even know how to use one. I have a jig saw and a drill.
    Advice please.
    Marc_E

2. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I can't comment on the Boston area or the driver.

You could build the sub with a drill and jig saw. You can do almost anything with a drill and jig saw if you like. Don't expect a furniture quality piece, but if you just want good sound, it can be done. Others may not agree.

I say if you'll only use the tools once and aren't concerned with looks go for it with what you've got, or call in a favor from a wood working friend.

3. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

Marc,
    I'm in the Boston area. (Medford) I got a kind of sonotube at Home Depot. Its not as thick as the real thing I think.
    I have pictures here:
    http://www.slonka.com/lewis/speakers
    I am finishing up some Adire 281s with my roommate, and I made the 95L shiva box, its amazing. I don't know anything about the SAE woofer.
    If you get a box mostly assembled, I can route a few holes in it for you. Also, if you go the wood route, go in the evening on a weekend, and the staff at Home Depot will make as many cuts as you like in the MDF (typically for free)
    Brendan

4. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

Mark E

Sonotube in Boston should be pretty easy to come across with the big dig.

Check any Concrete place.

There is one in Woburn off of Washington street, not sure of the name or exact address right now but, it is on the street that connects Washington street and Main street in Woburn. Take exit 36 (same exit as Hogans tire/Mits/Jag dealrship) on 95/128 south and then a right at the end of the ramp(this is Washington street). At the second set of lights, take a right (after Cummings park). About a 1/2 mile on the left.

Hope this helps.

-

5. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the great replies.

I work in Woburn on presidential way at Arqule so I know exactly where you are describing John.

BrendanL, thanks for the routing offer. I may take you up on it.

I still have to see what the wife will be cool with.

WHat is the advantage of 1 driver vs. 2 driver. I have a crappy cambridge soundworks powered sub (bottoms out around 50hz I think) and want something really awesome that will get REALLY low but I dont want to break the bank

Thanks again

Marc_E

6. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

Marc,

Can I interest you in a prebuilt sub? I got a new one yesterday and its project time yet again! LOL. At any rate you can come demo my stuff. The cambridge sub is muddy as anything and probably has too much boost to make it sound like "real bass".

Or, I will be needing some sonotube also so we can split a 10' or 12' section.

Brendan

7. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

The funny thing is back a few months ago when they started the major work near the Fleet Center for the underground tunnel from the Fleet over to the T station, I saw tons of sonotube laying around.

I thought "Oh those poor sub woofers who will never come to be"......sad I think.....

8. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

I shall have my buddy look around, literally they are across from his front door. He is the only person that hopes it takes forever to finish the big dig, because once they do, his place is worth so much he will have to move.