Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Son of Paleface Blu-ray Review
sonopalefacetop2-1024x576.jpg

A wacky follow-up to one of Bob Hope’s funniest and most popular movies, Frank Tashlin’s Son of Paleface routes its own course through screwball antics and lots of sight gags emerging as probably Bob Hope’s best comedy of the 1950s.

[review]

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, if the images are in sharp focus and the color is rich, this disc is an essential purchase. Many thanks.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Matt. Great and well written review as always. I've always loved this film. Of all the songs that Roy did over the years, California Rose ranks among the best and the trio version of Buttons & Bows works very well.

It is almost impossible to watch the scene of Bob and Trigger in bed and not be amazed and laugh at the same time.

I ordered this, and the other Hope titles, during the recent Kino sale and anxiously await their arrival. The lack of SDH stinks so I'll have to use headphones for my evening viewing, but I love Hope so much that I broke my rule about not buying product without them.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
This review brought back fond memories from my youth. I always liked Son of Paleface better than the original, possibly because I have no memory of seeing Paleface in the theater.Based on your review of the quality of this disk I will definitely order this RSN since I apparently missed it on the Kino Lorber sale.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This review brought back fond memories from my youth. I always liked Son of Paleface better than the original, possibly because I have no memory of seeing Paleface in the theater.Based on your review of the quality of this disk I will definitely order this RSN since I apparently missed it on the Kino Lorber sale.

That chimes exactly with my own memories, seeing it as a theatrical reissue in the late '50s. Wonderfully entertaining film with so many great Hope gags.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I certainly like it better than The Paleface though it was a big hit in its day. But Jane Russell has some experience under her belt by 1952 and Roy and Trigger make GREAT additions and spur many of the best comic bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks