What's new

Son of Frankenstein Paris Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
The screen grabs look pretty good, but that low bitrate? Anyway, I would like to have this. Anyone know how to navigate Amazon France?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'll wait for the eventual US release which will benefit from the restoration that Universal is doing on this and other classic monster titles.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised by Gary Tooze's positive review, given how he usually really rips into low bitrate selection, and at slightly under 15 mbps, this one definitely qualifies!

In my opinion, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) would benefit from a somewhat higher bitrate selection (Perhaps closer to 20 mbps?), in this case. Hopefully, Universal will apply this for a North American based Blu-ray issue!

CHEERS! :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd be tempted if it hadn't been reported in the middle of last year that Universal was working on all the Frankenstein sequels, so I'm happy to wait for the new restorations.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd be tempted if it hadn't been reported in the middle of last year that Universal was working on all the Frankenstein sequels, so I'm happy to wait for the new restorations.
They only said they were restoring them. They have not yet confirmed that this will translate into U.S. Blu-ray release.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
But Son of Frankenstein is the next obvious release of a Universal Monster film. I put it in the inevitable category.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
But Son of Frankenstein is the next obvious release of a Universal Monster film. I put it in the inevitable category.

I so hope that you are correct. I love the Universal horror classics. I would jump for Blu-rays of everything from Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) to The Mummy's Ghost.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The bitrate on this is totally sufficient with good encoding. People worry too much about numbers.

I would love to get this whole series, but with that many titles and $30 a pop, it's just too pricey.

Edit: Darn! Realized the VAT doesn't apply so the price for all five titles was about $108 shipped. Ordered.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
a lot of product but none of the 3D that second Creature is supposed to be 3D will wait for Uni to release on this side of the pond, but the idea of SoF has me hyped loved that movie

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've had a soft spot for SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) since I first viewed it around the early '00s. While I have no plans to order the Region B Blu-ray, I'll likely grab it if/when Universal releases the Blu-ray over here!

Basil Rathbone's sympathetic performance as the son of Baron Von Frankenstein is what makes this Film really work for me, though it's also great that Boris Karloff does one last turn as "The Monster" of course! Basil was of course, just emerging from his then usual bad guy persona, and that transition would continue (Though bad guy roles would continue off and on) with his first appearance as the great Detective Sherlock Holmes soon afterward!

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I've had a soft spot for SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) since I first viewed it around the early '00s. While I have no plans to order the Region B Blu-ray, I'll likely grab it if/when Universal releases the Blu-ray over here!

Basil Rathbone's sympathetic performance as the son of Baron Von Frankenstein is what makes this Film really work for me, though it's also great that Boris Karloff does one last turn as "The Monster" of course! Basil was of course, just emerging from his then usual bad guy persona, and that transition would continue (Though bad guy roles would continue off and on) with his first appearance as the great Detective Sherlock Holmes soon afterward!

I agree with all your comments, Tony. I also love the design of this film. The sets are amazing, with huge, expressionistic, asymmetrical shapes in the sets towering over the actors. Even the moving backdrop outside the train window is atmospheric and creepy.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Really torn on this. I really really REALLY want all the Universal Monsters on Blu-ray (especially all the Frankensteins), but I don't wanna buy 'em yet again if Universal does release them here. First world problem, I know.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Not all of the Frankensteins are released in France. It isn't obvious by the packaging, but half of the titles are blu-rays and half of them are just DVD. If you think that the Frankensteins might come out soon in the US, buy the Creature, Wolf Man and Dracula titles released on blu in France. I don't think we're likely to get all the rest of the Uni Horrors here in the US. The trend lately is to three movie box sets, not ten or twelve titles.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
It's a bit bizarre. House of Dracula on Blu but House of Frankenstein only gets a DVD release. Werewolf of London is REALLY calling my name....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks