What's new

Son had a magnet....I have a problem (1 Viewer)

Brad Ems

Auditioning
As you might guess from the subject, my 36" direct-view TV has a little problem. My 4 year-old tried to vanquish a cartoon villain with his Monster Magnet and now I have two spots on the screen that glow purple and green when viewing a white screen. The TV doesn't have a de-gauss button or menu item, so I can't do that. Does anyone know how to get rid of these spots, or am I stuck?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Unplug the TV and plug it back in. TV should correct itself in most cases.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
If the set doesn't deguass itself by unplugging and plugging, and assuming you don't have a deguassing coil, many items that produce a fairly strong electromagnetic field will work.
I've used a soldering gun many times. My particular technique is as follows: hold the gun about 6" in front of the tube and about 12" to the left of the set. Squeeze the trigger, then move it to the screen area and begin a wide circular sweep with it as you slowly back away farther and farther from the screen. By circular sweep, I mean the motion as if you were drawing circles on the screen.
I haven't ever done this on a new model like yours, so if there's something dangerous about it on newer sets someone speak up. :)
Jerry
------------------

Brad, as micheal has said unplug the set from the wall socket, and when you re apply power and switch on the main power switch (not the remote control one) it will fire the deguass coils for around 10 secounds.
I must stress however that when you remove the power at the wall socket you must do so for around 15-30minutes. The degauss circuit is normally operated by a thermal device, if with the removal of power it has not fully cooled (and this may take 10-20minutes) then it won't flow current in the degauss coils at the application of power.
I would be surprised if a 36" set has no degauss coils, they can be heard to operate at power application by making a distinct "DOOM" sound.
Several applications may be required if the shadow mask is badly distorted. Hope you sort it out.
Cheers
Stephen

Matt Tucker

Agent
Real Name
Matt Tucker
Brad,
Don't worry, you will be able to get your rid of the discoloration. Try unplugging the TV as above suggested, but if it doesn't clear it up all the way, buy, beg, or borrow a degaussing coil.
Years ago I worked at a small TV/VCR repair shop. A guy brought in his TV that his sister had sat a 10" woofer on for several days. It looked horrible. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to clean it up. It took a few waves of the magic coil, but it was good as new afterwards. Be sureyou/they use the coil correctly. Start out close to the TV with big swooping circular motions. Then slowly get farther and farther away (make really big circles as you get away from the TV). Don't turn off the coil until the coil has absolutely no effect on the TV picture.
We got a lot of repairs do to 4 year olds :)
Matt
------------------
Link Removed
DVD list

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It may take more than one built in degaussing to get rid of the discoloration, I suggest doing it ten times before calling a serviceman.
The time delay needed to activate the built in degausser varies from one model set to the next. I suggest at least a whole hour off, then a whole hour on for each try. Normal TV viewing for a week will probably accomplish this without your having to consciously think about it.
If this doesn't work, the magnetizing is too much for the build in degausser to take out and you will need help.
Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kevin P

Screenwriter
My son pushed a 32" TV off its stand and it fell to the floor. After that, there is a discolouration on one side. Would degaussing help in that situation. I can get a strong external degausser from work if I need to.
Dropping the set likely bent or broke the shadow mask, which won't be fixable (except for replacing the CRT). If you can get your hands on a degausser, give it a try (you never know, maybe the set landed near a speaker), but don't be surprised if it doesn't help.
KJP

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Brad, just try turning the set on and off repeatedly for about 10 cycles.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I hate to play the tole of grim reaper here, but my experience with TVs that have been exposed to strong magnetic fields has not been good. The discoloration, at least on a couple of Sonys, never went away (in both cases, I stupidly placed the televisions too close to unshielded speaker systems).
Try the degaussing--but don't be surprised at less-than-optimal results (again, if your experience is similar to mine).
Neil: So you still have that problem? I was actually thinking about your original post not long ago--wondering what the sound of a 32-inch television falling on the floor is like. It sure is good that it isn't your main display.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Brad Ems

Auditioning
Thanks, everyone. I'll be trying these remedies as soon as I can commandeer the set from the offending children.
------------------
"Nothing is quite so permanent as a temporary government program."
- Milton Friedman

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
My son did the same thing to my 17" Sony computer monitor. The monitor does not have a degauss button or a degauss feature in the menu options. Would the above recommendations work on a computer monitor as well? I'm at work so I can't test any of the above tips until tonight.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
The deguassing via a deguassing coil (or a makeshift one as I recommended) will usually work on most any CRT. Most computer monitors, however, have a deguassing button on them these days. Check to see if yours has that first, or has a deguass function hidden in the setup menus.
Jerry
------------------

Matt Tucker

Agent
Real Name
Matt Tucker
Hello,
In my earlier reply I mention begging or borrowing a degaussing coil if the built in coil doesn't do the job. You can buy them. MCM electronics http://www.mcmelectronics.com has them. The standard degaussing coil (#72-785) is $20 and the heavy duty coil (#72-790 )is $33.
Matt
------------------
Link Removed
DVD list

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks