Somewhat newbie question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Cabral, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

I've had my feet wet with home theater stuff for a while now, but I'm fairly new to the higher-end of home theater equipment. I've managed to put together a fairly decent system so far, and am extending into some better quality components now, which has raised a few questions. I'm just hoping to become more informed so I can make better decisions in where I can improve my setup, and what areas I should target for upgrade.

How important is the receiver if you're going to be connecting it to a good amp? Would a high-end amp compensate for a lower end receiver, or will a weaker receiver impede the potential of a high-quality amp? Which component is more critical with respect to good sound quality?

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I recently purchased an amp to go with my receiver. Which I thought would greatly improve the sound of my setup. The improvement was modest at best. It seems to me that adding an amp will greatly improve things if you have a big room and need to play at louder levels since you will have more power and cleaner sound at higher volumes. Buying a decent receiver with lots of inputs and all the bells and whistles (7.1, ThX-EX, DTS ES etc) might be a better choice for smaller rooms, or apartment/townhouses than buying a cheaper receiver and a good amp. But if you have a large room then an separate amp might do wonders, since you can use and reuse the amp as you upgrade the preamp or receiver.

I would recommend a receiver like the Denon 4802. Has very good amp section and a great deal of inputs.

But definitely a good separate preamp/pro will sound better on the same amp than a cheaper receiver. In particular for 2 channel music.

3. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

Ken> Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I'm going to be coupling a Newcastle R-956 with a Parasound HCA-2205A, and my initial concern was that I'd be handcuffing the capabilities of the Parasound with the Newcastle.
    To me, the Newcastle sounds just fine, but I was somewhat concerned that it would be too weak a link. I'm not so sure that concern is justified in looking at the overall picture now, since it seems that the Newcastle has the ability to keep up enough to the point where the Parasound can take over and really drive things.

Opinions/thoughts?