Somewhat difficult Moulin Rouge music question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

OK, I've now watched this DVD about 4 times, and something's driving me nuts. Does anyone know the piece of music that runs during the entire closing credits? I'm thinking it's just a portion of the original score, but this piece of music is not offered on the soundtrack. I MUST have this piece of music on CD (or at least my hard drive)!

Any info would be highly appreciated.

2. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure it's just a piece of Craig Armstrong's (?) score. I agree that it's excellent -- it haunted me for days after I saw the flick, so I ran right out and bought the CD. And then became very pissed that the most exhilarating track in the film (IMHO) wasn't on the damned disc.
    I got excited for a bit when I heard the intro to Hindi Sad Diamonds because it sounded very similar. But no luck. I was expecting a second soundtrack to be out by now, but I might have to resort to burning a copy onto CD-R through composite outs. Better than nothing I suppose!

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Scott, this question was already going around in another thread. I don't think it got answered there either.

I'd like to add one other thing on this.

What other modern film (where credits go forever) did ALL the credits in the style of the film. Typically when we have stylish credits at all, that aspect still ends short of showing all credits and we end up with some generic white on black roll with some "soundtrack single" playing over them.

I think of stuff like Shallow Hal or Trainspotting, for example. Many films have the "big" credits done in style, but leave the final ones to be done generically. MR stood out in that manner by having the same song and same style ride the entire credit run out.

4. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

WHOA!

After watching the movie last night, I went looking on the net for this song (seeing as it's not available on the purchaseable CD sountracks), and couldn't find it; not only that, its title isn't listed in the credits so I couldn't narrow down a search on it in a search engine (i.e. Morpheus).

Lo and behold, here is a thread for exactly the thing I was looking for!

I agree, this song really grabbed my attention, I like it a lot. I guess the audio-out would probably be the only option at this point *sigh*.

5. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

6. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

7. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I had loved the end credits score since the first time I saw the movie. Wasn't there a rumor about an eventual special edition release of the music for the movie? The soundtrack avaliable now has some great stuff, but it also leaves much to be desired.

8. Dana Fillhart

I did find a copy of the end-credits song on the net somewhere, but unfortunately it wasn't the complete 4-minute version found in the movie, so I'm resorting to Plan B.

I have scoured the 'net and have found some tools to extract VOB files (for "archival/backup" purposes of course), and other tools that extract AC3 and downconvert it to WAV format. With luck, I should have both a WAV and MP3 of that song (as well as the "Spectacular Spectacular" as played in the movie, which I don't think is on the soundtrack) completed tonight.

(Unless told not to) I'll post my results here -- success/fail only, no details; those who are interested in the process (read: ONLY THOSE WHO ACTUALLY OWN THE MOVIE) may contact me via email. I know how close this is skirting to the issue of piracy, and I am not in any way advocating such a thing, but damn it, I bought the DVD, and I want that song to listen to at MY convenience! Hopefully everybody with a modicum of intelligence here will recognize the difference between legitimate extraction and piracy.

9. Dana Fillhart

I was EXTREMELY successful, in case anybody was wondering. I have the end credits and the "Spectacular Spectacular" songs in .mp3 format.

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I want 'em both!

Incidentally, I listened to the first commentary track tonight, and Luhrmann mentions that this piece of music was written for the film by a guy named Steve Sharples (I'm pretty sure that's what he said the guy's name was, yet I find no traces of a Steve Sharples in the credits) and the title is simply "Bolero".

The director also comments that this piece was meant to be a change-of-pace, so that people leaving the theater kinda sad (for obvious reasons) would perhaps get a jolt from the song.

All I know is I want it on my hard drive!

Good job, Dana!