Somewhat complex HT set up

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JohnFreeze, Jul 14, 2003.

1. JohnFreeze

JohnFreeze Auditioning

First, the components.

Denon 3801 A/V receiver
    Pioneer DVD Player
    Philips DVDR75 Recorder
    VCR
    Hitachi HDTV, 48"
    DSS Satelite Receiver

I'm trying to get this system functioning in such a way that the recorder can record input from the other sources, both video and audio.

So far I have done the following setup

1)DVD Recorder Component Out to Receiver Component "DVD" In. 2)Receiver Component "Monitor" Out to TV Component "Input 2" In
    3)Satelite S-Video Out to Reciever S-video "TV/DBS" In
    4)Receiver S-Video Out to TV S-Video "input 1" In
    5)Corresponding Audeo connections.

This has the effect of being able to see the satelite programming on Input 1 of the TV, and DVDs played in the recorder on Input 2. I'm looking for some help finishing the hook up so that I can play DVDs from the Pioneer DVD player, VHS tapes from the VCR, and record sound and images from all sources with the Philips DVD recorder.

Thanks for any help,
    John

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Welcome to the HTF! First, just in case you aren't sure, it is illegal to record DVD's that have been purchased, and most of them have a copy prevention agent called macrovision, which prevents that, so I'll assume that you are talking about recording weddings and other personal stuff.

That being said, you will want to 'split the outgoing signal from your DVD player and your VCR too. I haven't tried this, but you could probably use an A/V switcher ($12 + up). They have three or more inputs and one out, but should work the other way around too. Do not buy anything that plugs in, because that will make it an 'active' circuit - and it won't work. Switch it to the right unit before you turn anything on. Although the A/V switchers were meant for composite cables, they will work with component cables. I use one for 3 inputs > 1 output.

You would have to buy a second one for your VCR, unless your receiver has a VCR out.

Glenn

3. JohnFreeze

JohnFreeze Auditioning

hmmm, A/V switcher hadn't even crossed my mind.

As for DVD copying, I know that it's illegal; I'm a video buff, and don't mind coughing up the money for an extensive DVD collection. The only DVD-DVD stuff I'd be doing is for duplicating home videos recorded from a Sony DVcam. I have one more setup that I'm gonna try, after which I'll look into the switcher [​IMG]

Thanks,
    John