What's new

sometimes you feel like a n00b.. (1 Viewer)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
So, here I am watching gorgeous BD, and still using the ol' optical feed for my audio. I know that my next purchase will be a pre-processor or a receiver.

What gets me is the difficulty of finding any info on available pre-pros. I may wind up just buying a receiver, and then ignoring the fact that it has integrated amps!

Any info on seeking out pre-pros that don't cost thrice that of a similarly capable receiver would be appreciated!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Ahh welcome to the world of separates, things become quite interesting from here on. A few questions to get you started:

1. What is your budget (a pre-pro and multichannel poweramp can set you back from $1,000 on Audiogon all the way up past $25,000, depending on what you are looking for)
2. What speakers do you own?
3. What are your sources (HD Player, DVR, Gaming Consoles, Turntable, etc)
4. How many HDMI inputs are you looking for?
5. What are the dimensions of your room?

A few great mid-fi brands to get you started:

- Outlaw Audio
- Emotiva
- NAD
- Rotel
- Arcam

Both Outlaw and Emotiva are online resellers and are very cost effective, though I haven't had an opportunity to audition for myself.

From here up you get into heavy duty hi-fi gear, the likes of Anthem, Classé, McIntosh, Krell, etc

Many on this forum use a receiver as their pre-pro, then purchase a stereo poweramp or two monoblocks to drive their front speakers (for instance, the Outlaw 2200's are really popular). This is a very cost effective option until you have enough budget for a full on pre-pro.

Be sure to audition as many systems as possible before making your purchase, synergy amongst your source, pre-amp and speakers makes a huge difference.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Also, a good quality receiver can certainly hold its own against separates in this price category. For instance, the Arcam AVR350 is absolutely brilliant. I've also been very impressed with the Rotel RSX-1057.

Cheers

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
All those brands are great and all, but none of them have hdmi v1.3 and decoding for dts-ma and dolby true hd. Depending on his blu-ray player he may need/prefer a pre-pro that decodes those formats. Of the pre-pros that do, the Onkyo, Integra, Marantz, and Denon are the only ones that come to mind.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I fully agree, though its very difficult to find a pre-pro with HDMI 1.3 at this time (and bloody expensive!)

Integra DTC-9.8 pre-pro + DTA-9.4 poweramp = $5,000
Marantz AV8003 pre-pro + MM8003 poweramp = $5,000
Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre-pro + POA-A1HDCI poweramp = $15,000 (stunning system btw, now than Denon/Marantz owns McIntosh)

But providing the Blu-Ray player has analog outputs, you can fully enjoy Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD via PCM, without HDMI. If HDMI 1.3 is a must, I would probably lean towards a Denon or Marantz receiver, and use the pre-outs to connect a poweramp

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm not interested in purchasing right now...the sting of buying into Blu has to wear off a bit first!

I did not get a player with analog outs, because I was tired of waiting, and found I could get a perfectly acceptable player that would do everything else, and have some other nice features, too. (media server connection, plays games, la la la )

My thought was to get a pre-pro, and use the amp section in my current receiver until I gradually replace it with separate amps. Somewhere along the line, I'll need to upgrade my sub as well. Oh, and then after all that is done I'm sure I'll decide I need better speakers....you see where this is going!

After looking around a while, I may simply get a more capable receiver. As long as it can handle the LPCM over HDMI and do the video switching, I'll be fine.

My current setup is:
PS3, yamaha DVD, some kinda DVR as sources.
Yamaha HTR 5790 receiver
set of six JBL S38 (two for center, L, R, SL, SR) and pair of JBL Control Ones as Back.
JBL 12" sub, being driven by outboard amp after built-in amp died.
the room is 19x23.5 with 8' ceiling.
one chair dead on in the sweet spot, and some other chairs and toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation496
Recent bookmarks