1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sometimes owning an SVS can be a real pain...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derrik Draven, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    ...but in a good way, I suppose.
    I bought an SVS 16-46pc, over a year ago. It had the original driver. Since then, about 5 months ago, I put in the new upgraded driver.
    Talk about 1 serious sub.
    Anyhoo...My mains were Def Tech BP2004tls. Yesterday, I bought a pair of BP2000tls and a CLR2002.
    Previously, I ran the system with all speaker set to small, my crossover set at 60hz, and the sub on. The SVS just did a much better job giving bottom end than letting the 2004's run all the way down.
    But...weighing in at 125lbs a piece, standing almost 5 feet tall, dual 15inch 500 watt subs, I thought I'd run the 2000's as large.
    I mean, I just CAN'T fathom a BP2000tl as..."small"...? [​IMG]
    So, whip out the Avia disc. Set all the speakers to read the same db. Frequency sweep time.
    With the BP's subamp running at 75%, they start to fall off around 25hz.
    ...at the absolutely last measurable freq on the test, before it ends, the SVS is off the scale!!!! [​IMG]
    ...how in the hell do you find main towers to compete with that kind of performance....?!!?
    BP3000tl's????
    Those damn SVS's are just plain incredible. [​IMG]

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Driver size and power aren't an end all in output. You also have to take into account allignment type, driver excursion and sensitivity.
    The DefTech 15" will likely have significantly less throw than the SVS so air displacement wise I wouldn't be surprised if the single SVS 12" driver could almost out displace the pair of 15" drivers in the DefTech.
    The DefTech is a small sealed design while the SVS is a much larger ported design. This will allow the SVS to go a lot louder down low than the Deftech with much less power and effort.
    You can also stick the SVS in a corner while the DefTechs have to be placed appropriately for stereo listening. This will gain the SVS another advantage for bass output.
    I also suggest you give this post a read:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...537#post739537

3. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

4. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Karl - I boxed up the 2004's. My downstairs flooded last year and, it's in repair mode now. When it's done, the plan is to have the 2000's as mains and the 2004's as rears. Right now I'm using small, bookshelf Deftechs for rears since there isn't any room upstairs for 2004's in back.
    Anyhoo...with the 2000's, I can certainly feel more air moving around. Much more "thump" than with my 2004's. It's a pretty noticeable upgrade.
    As for them blending with the SVS...they didn't seem to, at least to me. When doing a frequency drop, when the 2004's were originally set to large, there was some serious weakness when going down below 30hz. The 16-46SVS is just too damn powerful. When the center and the rears, which were set as "small" did their freq drop, at 60hz, (crossover setting), you could REALLY feel the SVS take over.
    I guess I could back off the SVS but, I did even all the speakers out with the SPL meter. So...it wasn't like I had it turned up too high...
    Oh yeah, if you plan on getting some 2000's, prepare for an aching back! [​IMG] I'm 220lbs, work out regularly and, I was tired after carrying them out of my truck, up the steps, unpacking the outer box, inner box, moving them around to the best sweet spot I could register.
    ...and to think, 3000's are another 25lbs, or so! [​IMG]
    Thanks for the link Dustin, I'll check it out.