Sometimes A Great Notion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon McMurphy, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I don't believe I have ever heard any rumours about Paul Newman's 1971 film, Sometimes A Great Notion coming to DVD. The only time it has been released on home-video was on the 1995 American Laserdisc from Universal. How was the transfer? There doesn't seem to be any reviews on the Net.

It's a good film and it contains one of the most harrowing and brilliantly shot death scenes I have ever seen. A Special Edition DVD would be great. I hope that Universal release some great DVD editions of great films this year.

Thanks for reading.

Gordy

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

The WS transfer was adequate, nothing to write home over.
    For some reason, this appeared on the tube a few years back with the title "Never Give an Inch" .
    I too would love to see an SE of it.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Mark. [​IMG]

A SE DVD of Sometimes A Great Notion would be great. It is a good time to re-evaluate the film. I like Lee Remick a lot. Shame she died before her time.

Cheers.

Gordy

4. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I have the LD and agree the transfer is about average and can't compare to a good DVD transfer. The audio wasn't too bad for a movie from this time period. But it is watchable and there is no release of this movie scheduled as far as I know of for region one. Maybe something for another region? I would be happy if a special edition were released, but would gladly purchase a bare bones version if it had a good anamorphic transfer and decent audio. The death scene that you mentioned is always the first thing I think of about this film. Also the last scene of the film is quite memorable.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Brian. [​IMG]

I too would purchase a bare-bones edition, just to see the film in its OAR.

Gordy