What's new

Sometimes A Great Notion (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe I have ever heard any rumours about Paul Newman's 1971 film, Sometimes A Great Notion coming to DVD. The only time it has been released on home-video was on the 1995 American Laserdisc from Universal. How was the transfer? There doesn't seem to be any reviews on the Net.

It's a good film and it contains one of the most harrowing and brilliantly shot death scenes I have ever seen. A Special Edition DVD would be great. I hope that Universal release some great DVD editions of great films this year.

Thanks for reading.

Gordy

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The WS transfer was adequate, nothing to write home over.
For some reason, this appeared on the tube a few years back with the title "Never Give an Inch" .
I too would love to see an SE of it.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mark. :emoji_thumbsup:

A SE DVD of Sometimes A Great Notion would be great. It is a good time to re-evaluate the film. I like Lee Remick a lot. Shame she died before her time.

Cheers.

Gordy

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I have the LD and agree the transfer is about average and can't compare to a good DVD transfer. The audio wasn't too bad for a movie from this time period. But it is watchable and there is no release of this movie scheduled as far as I know of for region one. Maybe something for another region? I would be happy if a special edition were released, but would gladly purchase a bare bones version if it had a good anamorphic transfer and decent audio. The death scene that you mentioned is always the first thing I think of about this film. Also the last scene of the film is quite memorable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks