somethings awry with DD-EX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PeterK, Sep 6, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I don't know what's going on with my recievers DD-EX decoding. I don't have my surrounds or rears hooked up yet so I am just going by what the display is showing me. I stuck in starwars and it didn't play in DD-Ex although it should. then when I put in finding nemo which is just DD the rear channel light lit up! I have the Sony DE597. I know its really crappy but I bought it because of my low budget an I wanted DD-Ex/DTS-ES The is something on it called back decoding It is default set to auto but there is also matrix which I assume decodes movies that are not in Ex to get that rear channel. but both above mentioned movies were played in the auto mode so i don't know whats going on! any thoughts?
    thanks

2. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

If your talking about episodes 1 & 2, the discs are not flagged for EX. You have to manually set the receiver for EX. I don't have the Trilogy yet(Maybe tomorrow) to check that out.

Hope this helps.

Joe

3. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I am talking about one and 2. so I have to set it manually for those EX movies? are most EX movies like that where there is no auto detection? even when my surrounds and rears are in place? I do have my speakers set up for just the front three at the moment? I found that out when I played a movie that had THX at the beginning parts. of it were silent when only surround speakers should be playing [​IMG] THanks. I will have to wait abit to hook up surrounds cause we are renevating at the moment.
    cheers

4. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

Some are like that. There are a few that are not flagged for EX or ES. The 2-disc of Fellowship of the Ring & the 1st Harry Potter DVD are 2 that are not flagged for EX. Even though the boxes indicate 5.1 DD EX. Same with Star Wars 1 & 2. So yes, you do have to set it manually if the disc is not flagged for it.

If you want a list of which movies are DD EX or DTS ES, head over here. DD EX & DTS ES

5. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Thanks for the list. So if I must force the DD EX movies that are not flagged in matrix form then is it not the same as forcing a 5.1 to play in 5.1 EX?

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yup. You can apply EX to any 5.1 title you want. The difference is only that those titles expressly mixed for EX have been engineered for it, and will sound good with EX applied. Almost always EX applied to regular 5.1 titles will be good, but results may vary.

This is similar to applying pro-logic processing to stereo sources in the older days. Many things, especially movies were engineered for PL playback, but many things also weren't, and results were sometimes a little unpredictable. So experiment on non-EX titles, but you'll find that most all 5.1 titles will sound better. The thing you have to watch for is maybe where the rears are in mono, because EX might then dump all that to the back which is undesireable.