"Something wicked this way comes"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard Michael Clark, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

Is the DVD from Anchor Bay any good?

Also, has there been just the one release or will I find that it is gonna get an SE or anamorphic re-issue as soon as I buy it?

cheers

Rich

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

There's only been the one release. I have it, and it seemed nice enough back when we got it/watched it on our then-14" TV! [​IMG] The whole time we had the 30" TV since moving to our house we hadn't bothered to watch it, and now we have a 34" 16x9...maybe it's time to spin that disc again and see how she looks under higher-tech scrutiny.
    And the 5.1 system might be a revelation, too!
    Hmmm...just grabbed the box and the WS side is 1.66:1 non-anamorphic. Flip side has the FS bull$#!+. Sound is Dolby Surround 4.0, per the bottom middle next to the Dolby logo, but the small print near the features box simply says "stereo".
    I know I won't watch the entire thing anytime soon, but maybe I'll spin this in a little bit and get back to you on how a random sampling looks.

3. Richard Michael Clark

ta very much! [​IMG]

4. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this DVD, as far as video and sound go. Decent presentation overall. Great flic...buy it!

5. David Lambert

Okay, I checked it out. A sampler, as I said. Based on that quick look: Video: 8/10...non-anamorphic video is best viewed non-zoomed, speckles appear throughout, but otherwise this is a fine-looking image with black blacks and an even color balance. Audio: 6/10..."4.0" mainly uses center speaker for dialogue, with little use of the soundfield (both fronts and the left surround) except in selected scenes. There, the audio really shines. Chapter 14 for example. Extras: none to speak of.
    Don't take this "review" too seriously, as it was, as I said and repeat, a quick look at a sampling of scenes.
    However, this is an excellent film, and from what I can see the quality holds up 2 years and 2 televisions later, the latest one with the ability to be VERY revealing when it comes to video problems.
    Amazon has this for $22.48! [​IMG]

6. Richard Michael Clark

many thanks, David

7. John Henry

John Henry Agent

The Laserdisc has a commentary by Ray Bradbury.

8. ScottL

ScottL Agent

Just picked this up 2 days ago and watched it last night on my Hitachi 53" wide screen. Probably one of my better looking "letterboxed"(non-anamorphic) dvd's that I own.

Go ahead a pick it up.

By the way...my version is not a flipper. Both version(widescreen/P&S) are on the same side .

Scott

9. David Lambert

10. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Extra

I just saw a release of this film on a Disney DVD listed as widescreen 1.85:1 enhanced for 16x9. Does anyone know if this is really a new version, or just erroneous info on new packaging? I have an older version that is 1.66:1 non-anamorphic.

11. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I believe this has been reissued and indeed recieved an anamorphic update.
    Anchor Bay original non-anamorphic release:
    [​IMG]
    Walt Disney anamorphic reissue:
    [​IMG]
    Too bad they didn't stick with the original cover art graphics..