What's new

Something to listen to in my search. (1 Viewer)

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
In my continuing search for the speakers I want. (I'll probably be making a decision sometime in the spring) I'd like to know some DVD's that I can use for auditioning different systems. Something that really pushes the surrounds for all they're worth, something that would push sounds that would only be picked up through a good setup.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to these sort of things and I'm not rushing in to any decision on what setup I'm going to go with as far as speakers are concerned. I've got several setups that I plan on auditioning so I need your input.

Thanks

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
This topic comes up a lot so you should probably do a search for something like "demo DVDs" and you'll get a lot of suggestions from that. I've always been fond of Lord of the Rings though.

Daniel

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, this has been covered extensively. I never use movies to test equipment.

IMO, focus on the front 3, as that is where the vast majority of your sound is going to come from. After deciding on a couple of brands, then I'd say look at which one has the best surrounds available.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Alot of people use there favorite music cds.
That is what I do...make a mix cd and bring it with.
Though Now I would bring my mix cd and dvd.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I use favorite music DVDs and CDs. If you are going to use movies looking specifically for surround activity, try out most anything with a DTS-ES track.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
Music you like and know well will probably be the best way to determine if the speakers suit you (tone, clarity, separation, etc.). Ask yourself how they sound at low and high volume, and how do they sound off-axis. If you want to test theatrical low end response and surround effects, I would throw in a Pixar movie- Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., or Finding Nemo would suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks