What's new

Something the Lord Made (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else catch this on HBO last night? Far better then I thought; Mos Def has turned into a pretty reliable actor.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thread title edited to correct the name of the film (Something the Lord Made instead of What the Lord Made).

M.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michael, I noticed that right after I typed it.

Watched it again last night with a friend. I'll have to catch this one on DVD. Should definitely be run during Black History Month. A powerful story.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Mos Def has been showing up a lot on the big (Bamboozled) and small (StLM, Chappelle's Show) screen. I really liked him in this, but I'm really excited to see him as Ford Prefect in the new Hitchiker's Guide.

RafaelB

Second Unit
A friend of mine's in this movie!

While I haven't watched it yet, my friend Sean is in the commerical. He's the guy who goes up and says "Doctor so-and-so is needed in the OR" or something.

I remember him telling me about filming this in Baltimore last fall and how neat it was to be on the same set as Alan Rickman and Mary Stuart Masterson. I can't wait to watch it this week. Glad to hear it's good.

Rafael.

DaveZ

Grip
I think you're referring to the point in the movie where a doctor runs into the hallway and says, "Vivien Thomas is assisting in an operation with the Chief of Surgery." Then everyone crowds around the labs looking through the windows.

I really enjoyed the movie though, I even caught myself getting choked up near the end when Mos Def is looking at the portraits on the wall.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this on The American Experience a little while ago and absolutely loved it. Although I can't picture Alan Rickman in the role as a white southern doctor, I will reserve judgement until I finally see the movie.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I too saw The American Experience version of the Thomas/Blalock story so I knew the basic history. HBO, as usual, did fine by the production. As for me, I'll watch Alan Rickman whatever the role. I think he acquitted himself nicely playing Blalock.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was impressed with his performance. Really, the acting in this was top notch, and the direction was very good, with a lot of great tight shots to give you an idea of the intricacy of the projects.

Another HBO original that didn't dissapoint, one I will eagerly own on DVD>

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abbazabba
Recent bookmarks