1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Something Scary....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jul 17, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was listening to the news about a kidnapping.

They said that the guy who lured a little girl into the car was asking about his lost dog.

The scary thing here, is that I was walking the streets of Ortley Beach about 7 years ago with a friend of mine. I couldn't sleep because of all the Fireworks goign off(Fourth of July night), and he was up as well. So, we took a walk around the neighborhood looking for the sources to watch a few displays.

It was about 1:30 Am, and we where a few feet from the house coming around a corner. Being the semi-antisocial person that I am, I didn't like this from the start because the car was driving super slow, and the guy had a light on inside. He pulled up alongside us, asking if anyone had seen his dog that was apparently lost.

I said no, and kept on walking, but my friend kept on talking to this idiot as he walked along. Can't remember what happened after that, but we both made it back to the house and went back to sleep.

This was a few years ago, when I was still in highschool. But now that I hear stories of the exact same situation(Minus the time of day/night), I can't help but wonder if I should have gotten the liscence plate on this guy and reported it.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Actually, it was most likely legit. 4th of July is the day of the year that the most dogs get lost because of all the fireworks that freak the dogs out.

I doubt many psychos would be out with malicious intent looking for little girls (the dog thing only seem to be used on children, I've read about that before) at 1:30 AM. The behvaior you described isn't typical for those psychos either, from what I've read.

/Mike

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I agree, most dogs hate loud noises, our's on the other hand think they're gigantic shotguns and want to find dead things [​IMG]
    poor guy was probably just looking for fluffy [​IMG]

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Then again, you never know.

5. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

A similar scary incident also happenned to me once when I was about 17. It was after 10pm and I was walking home from a part-time job at the local grocery store.

A guy stopped his van right next to me and asked where the nearest Dunkin Donut was. I gave him the direction and then he asked me if I wanted to have a cup of coffee with him. Before I could even say "NO", I saw his hand reach for something and I turned around and ran like hell.

Thinking about that night still gives me the creeps!

Peter

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    The kidnapping/murder of this little girl happened close to my home. I live in Huntington Beach, this happened about 20 miles away. I have driven Ortega Highway many times, where her body was found.
    I will not comment on what should happen to this guy when he is found because this thread would close, fast.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I was taking a "Comic Illustration" night class at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design back while I was in highschool. (yeah.. I was a bit of a geek)

Anyway, the school is in a bit of an unsavory neighborhood, at least at that time it was. So, I am waiting out front for my mom to pick me up (too young to drive) and this car pulls up and this creepy guy asks me if I want a ride. I said no, I'm waiting for someone. And he drives off.

A few years later, the whole Jeffrey Dahmer thing broke and I thought back to that incident, the school was just a few blocks away from where he would lure his victims.

I doubt it was him.. but creepy none the less.

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I remember when I was younger, around 5 yrs or so, this stranger came up to me and asked if I wanted some candy. Being an intelligent kid and a bit of a smartaleck, I told him "You're dumb. Why would you try to give me candy when everyone tells kids not to take candy from strangers?". He really didn't know what to say and just left. Of course I when running inside the house to tell my mom what happened. I didn't realize what was so bad about it until my mom got panicked.

9. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

When I was about 12 years old, me and my best friend walked down to 7-11 to buy some candy or something. At the register, we both realized that we actually had pretty much no money whatsoever, and were a little pissed that we walked all the way down there and couldn't buy a thing.
    Well, a really dirty, shady looking old man was surreptitiously following us around the store, pretending that he was looking at the same items we were. Apparently, he overheard us talking about our lack of funds, because he offered to pay us 20 bucks each just to come to his house and "move a few toys on the lawn from one side to the other." He said the job would only take us about 10-15 minutes, and of course we were pretty stoked about that.
    But then I started thinking about how weird the guy was acting, he was nervously flexing his fingers and talking kind of fast. Also, who the hell offers 12 year olds 20 bucks to move some toys? When he saw that I was about to turn him down, he started offering us more things like some of the toys we were supposedly going to be moving. My friend was a little dumb, and he started agreeing to whatever the dirty old man was saying. Finally, I was like what the hell, we'll do it (I was a little dumb at the time too apparently).
    So we asked him how far away his house was, and he of course told us it was "real close", but that we HAD to ride in his car with him to get there. I started getting a little panicked and asked him why we couldn't just walk. He got REALLY angry when I said that, and was like "because you have to if you want to get paid" or something similar to that.
    At that point my friend and I were pretty scared, and we made some lame excuse and just ran out of there as fast as we could. I never told my parents about that, because I was scared they wouldn't let me go to 7-11 alone anymore [​IMG]

10. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

At 17, I was at the local lake/park in the fall, with doors locked windows rolled up on a foggy & drizzly night.

Startling me there is suddenly banging on the fogged up window and a man (in a trench coat/raincoat type outfit) who is pulling on the door handle (I could hear the handle clicking) and stating loudly, "Ma’am this is the police, are you all right, open the car door".
    Instantly I'm thinking, what kind of ticket do the police give for 'necking' in the park and my moms going to kill me. It did not even cross my mind that local police wore dark blue slickers on rainy nights not beige trench coats.
    So I reach for the door locks, my future husband grabbed my arm and lunged for the car starter, yelling out for the man to back away from the car. The man is still shouting, "This is the police, I said OPEN the door". My husband guns the engine and throws the car in reverse and the man runs away.

He has NEVER let me forget, he thinks I could have gotten us both killed that night.

Ron, I know what you mean, I hear bad things every time I turn on the news but I had a violent internal reaction last night when watching that story. I wanted nothing more than to be left in a room with the perpetrator with no holds barred on what I could do to him.

11. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

This story has bothered me more than anything else recently.

I think the reason is that my own daughter looks very similar to Samantha. So, everytime I see that picture of her, I can't help but think that it could have just as easily been my daughter.

And, I can't imagine what it must be like to have to endure the kind of pain that her parents are feeling right now.
    How do you go on after that?

If I had my way, this guy would spend the last 24 hours of his life, being introduced to unspeakable levels of violence.

It takes a special kind of coward to do that to a defenseless child.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'm with ya Joe. My daughter is 5. I could not even begin to imagine the pain of something like this.

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I grew up in Stanton, and my family still lives there. It's a very rough area, that doesn't get the exposure of say L.A or Santa Ana. I have a daughter also, so hits close to home in many areas. In no way though, could I possibly even begin to know how they feel.

14. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I have always admired John Walsh. I don't even want to try to think what these parents are going through. I know Mr. Walsh will be working to help bring their daughter’s kidnapper to justice. It is ironic that the man Walsh thought might have been his sons killer was never charged, and died in prison without ever confessing whether he kidnapped Adam or not. The Walsh family never had the kind of closure that he helps bring to so many families through 'America's Most Wanted.'

I heard him speak once about the day he was in a hotel room waiting to go on Good Morning America again to plead publicly for help in finding his son. He got a phone call at the hotel from the police just before he left for the GMA set telling him they had found what they thought was Adams head.
    He tore the hotel room apart, I believe a maid passing told the desk to call the police but between the front desk and the police, they knew who he was, - and what was happening.
    They waited out in the hall and left him alone till he exhausted himself and then went in and asked what help he needed to make arraignments.

I would be more proud to meet a man like Walsh in person rather than any Hollywood 'name'.
    I am awed that he was capable of channeling a grief and rage beyond proportions I could ever comprehend into such a beneficial program for others.
    When America's Most Wanted was slated to be canceled public outcry and law enforcement objections kept it in lineups. It's one of the few programs I feel would be worthy of government funding to keep aired if sponsors and networks ever lag again in their support.

15. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

He probablly really did lose his dog. If my dog ran away I might do the same thing. (search in my car and ask if people had seen him) I don't know that I would approach a small child and ask, but if you were in high school I might ask. Never know these days though because there are some sick sick people out there. I would think that most sexual predeters would ask a small child to help him find his lost dog or someone else that would be an easy target. I would never report someone for a suspicion that is unfounded as it could cause trouble for an ordinary guy who just lost his dog. If the guy was acting really freaky and asked you to get inside his car that's a different story.

16. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I agree with you completely Mary. I have great respect for the man, especially after what he had to endure over his son. It's become somewhat of a cliche, but there are just way too many sick fucks out there.