Something little different to massage the brain on HT!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff_coil, Dec 13, 2002.

1. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

I was reading the same old I got my SVS post and what speakers should I get etc…. not to say I don’t enjoy reading those cause I do but I thought I would share this

I was wondering about this and thought I would try it. During one of my tweaking sessions (I guess I was bored) for shits and giggles I wanted to compare the Line level sub outs of my 3803 and DVD 1600 as I always assumed that line level was line level in terms of variable VRMS. I thought the spl of the sub would be similar- So I set the 1600 sub out to 0db and speakers to small and wired directly to the line in on my sub. And then did the same with the 3803 and compared only to find out the output and the 1600 was way low I mean way low in terms that you could hardly hear it. One could argue theoretically that these output signals should be close in output at 0db reference after all line level is line level

Any thoughts on this?
    What are the IEEE specs on Line level anyway?

Have a wonderful Holiday fellow HTF’s

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

You cannot trust the markings of a volume control, any volume control. There are too many variables, pre-amps output (some up to 12-14v) anywhere 3-8v, typical output from a DVD player is 2v and an amps sensitivity can range from as low as 1v to the 12-14v mentioned. All i know is that Wide Open Throttle on most recievers and pre-amps is around 1 o clock not all the way around like you would think.

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Unity gain (no attenuation/no amplification) on my preamp is exactly 12:00 o'clock on the volume dial.

With the VE calibration DVD producing a test signal input to my processor then input to my Stereo preamp, my SPL meter will read right at 75dB with the volume control @12:00 o'clock.

I should point out I'm using a combined 2-channel/HT system with the following connection:

DVD --> DD/DTS Processor --> Stereo preamp for L&R mains

4. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

Well said Guy Usher. Also,a gimmick used by many mass -market(and some "high-end") manufacturers, is to set up a piece so the volume control is "hot". "Wow,it`s loud at 9 o`clock,imagine how loud it would be wide open!!"