Something is wrong with me. I'm deciding *not* to upgrade certain things. Why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 5, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Like many of you here, I have upgraded many things in recent months and have a short list of things I have considered upgrading. If you have read some of my recent posts you know that I have considered the following purchases:
    1) Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog pre-amp or Sony STR-DA3ES receiver for home-theater system. Either of these options would give me two sets of multi-channel inputs for DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD. My Sony STR-V444ES receiver has one set of 5.1-channel inputs. I could add the 'P9000ES to the 'V444ES for $450 or sell the 'V444ES for whatever and buy the 'DA3ES for $685 or $700 from Oade Bros. or J&R Music World, respectively (the 'DA3ES isn't out yet). I've actually decided to do neither right now. The 'P9000ES isn't an appealing option after thinking about it awhile, and I don't know if the 'DA3ES will be a good receiver. In the end, I just don't want to get a new receiver. I will just switch cables in the 5.1-channel inputs on the 'V444ES when I want to switch between DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD. I suppose if there were far more quality multi-channel titles in the two formats with quality mixes, I would be more inclined to get the 'DA3ES for the two sets of multi-channel inputs. It was leap of faith in some respects to buy DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD players, but I am not ready to upgrade a receiver just to better accommodate those multi-channel music formats.
    2) NAD C 270 power amp for main stereo system. I have considered biamping the NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp in my main stereo system with an NAD C 270 power amp. I am not sure if I will be able to connect my subwoofer after biamping (I can connect it with the C 370 alone), and I am actually happy with how the system sounds with the C 370 right now. So, the idea of biamping has been shelved for now. Besides, I just biwired the speakers in this system the other day and will stick with it. Still, I would be curious to experience biamping. Not now.
    3) Music Hall MMF-5 or Rega Planar 2 turntable. Before hooking up my low-hour Sony PS-LX350H turntable on Friday evening, I was thinking of upgrading it. I was very close to buying the Music Hall MMF-5 for $450 when I decided to pull back. Upon hooking up the 'LX350H, I found the sound to be quite enjoyable. The MMF-5 (or Rega) would most certainly be better, but the Sony is quite good for what I paid and given that vinyl is not my primary format. So, I will stick with the Sony.
    Those are three upgrades I have decided against. What is wrong with me? This isn't how it's supposed to work. Has anyone else been exhibiting self-control lately? [​IMG]
    I must add that I am considering two upgrades, however. I am thinking of replacing my Energy e:XL-C center channel with an Energy e:XL-C2. The e:XL-C2 has the same 6.5" driver as my e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers and should be a better match than the e:XL-C, which only has a 5.5" driver. The dealer I bought the e:XL-C from will allow me to do a trade in, and the e:XL-C2 is only $350 on its own, so I am inclined to do the switch.
    The second upgrade is to biwire the Energy e:XL 25 floorstanding speakers in my second stereo system. Now that I just biwired the speakers in my main system, I would really like to biwire the e:XL 25s.
    So, I guess I am not too bad off. If I ever say I don't want to upgrade anything, then you know I am delirious or something. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

3. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

buhaahaha ..... time for software!
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I have been spending the last couple months upgrading and adding to my DVD collection!
    I am on the lookout for a good turntable though!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I've decided, for the time being, to not upgrade my speakers. I've already upgraded to HDTV and SACD. And once I upgrade my pre/pro and add another ATI 2505 amp, I'm gonna be broke. No way can I afford that Aerial 10T setup that I've been eyeing in Jackson, MS... well, at least not until the spring. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on November 06, 2001 at 07:59 AM]

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Isn't deciding to not upgrade grounds for being thrown off the Forum? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

7. Mark_R

Mark_R Agent

I'm glad I'm not the only one showing restraint. Actually, the truth is probably closer to not upgrading NOW, rather than not upgrading. I just got a deal on a receiver, but have no speakers for it (yet). Instead of buying something cheap right now, I'm am doing my best to save up for some nice speakers that I can keep and won't need upgrading any time soon. If I can keep from running the wiring for the surrounds, then I think I can hold off on getting speakers for a bit. If I wire, then I'm thinking I'm pretty much hosed and will have to settle for a JBL NSP-1 setup. If I can save up for a while... I'll go for a paradigm reference setup.
    Unfortunately, I don't really have anything except lack of budgeted funds keeping me from getting an SVS sub, this will probably be first purchase. But with other expenditures I've had lately, its looking like it'll have to wait till next year sometime [​IMG] I'm just hoping a 20-39pc will be enough to work for a 20'x17'10" room with a high cathedrial ceiling and a large 8' opening into dining area. Judging from some other SVS threads...It looks like I'll be pushing it. [​IMG]

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Nah, it's only natural. I had to wean myself away from the hardware forum because it was giving me too many ideas, so I went into software, and the goof-off (after-hours) forum for my kicks. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs