Something interesting I found out about the hyacinth macaw.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Feb 20, 2004.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I was watching a documentary on macaws the other day, and they said pound for pound the hyacinth macaw is worth more than cocaine in the South American black market. Of course there's more money to be made in drugs, but I found that interesting. They also said that 90% of smuggled parrots from South America die, which I find very sad.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

You have to smuggle parrots? Dont they have pet stores in some places?

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

There's big money in smuggling parrots, especially the rarer species. Since it's illegal to bring them across borders now, they have to be either bought by breeders/pet stores or smuggled.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Here's what a hyacinth macaw looks like if anyone was wondering:

[​IMG]

They are the biggest of all parrots at over 3 feet long. They are my favorite parrot as well, but way too expensive for me to purchase at the moment.

5. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I have an African Grey and she loves to watch movies with me. Whenever there is a song or music in the movie she starts to sing by making up words as she goes along. If there is a romantic scene where two people are about to kiss, she makes a single kiss sound that sounds just like a real kiss. She just cracks me up. The best one was when I was watching the final episode of Ali McBeal and all of her friends were telling her goodbye, my Grey started saying "Bye Ali, Bye Ali" over and over. I never taught her that.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Parrots are funny like that. My bluefronted Amazon barks or says hello whenever someone knocks at the front door or rings the door bell and no one ever says hello, they just go and answer the door. Of course he picked up the barking bit from my dogs. Sometimes he'll bark outta the blue and my mom will yell at the dogs to shut up when it's not even them who is barking.