Something i just noticed-DVD related

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yuli, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Yuli

Yuli Agent

Hi all,

I was watching Alien3 on DVD. There is a scene in the beginning of the movie with text, but i noticed that parts of text where cut off of or "outside the tv screen". So i played the the same scene on my PC and behold nothing was cut off.

I have the Sony 51HW40 (16x9) and the NS700P dvd player, for DVD the RPTV is set to "full" and the DVD player is set to 16x9 as well. I am wondering if what i am seeing is normal to the DVD player (or TV) or wether it is just the dvd itself. On another dvd i noticed that when i was playing it on the 700 i was losing small parts at the bottom and top of the screen.

Is this normal? Is it just the way the 700 tries to fit the picture on a 16x9 screen with particular dvds or should i make some adjustments?

Thanks in advance

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Sounds like your overscan is set above 5%. I would tell you how to fix it but I don't know how on the Sony's.

3. Yuli

Yuli Agent

Here is roughly what i am loosing on the RPTV:
    [​IMG]
    What i also noticed is when i watch 4:3 tv the grey bars on the left and right of the picture are uneven. The one on the right is roughly 1 inch larger than the one on the left. Is there anyway to adjust and center the picture, by moving it slightly to the right?

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It's either overscan on your RPTV (usually fixable, up to a point) or pixel cropping on the DVD player (don't know if that is fixable or not).

EDIT (added after your edit): Then it sounds like it is definitely the RPTV's overscan and centering controls. You need to get hold of the AVIA or Video Essentials test DVDs and figure out how to adjust the overscan and centering controls on your tv. You may have to get the service manual and do some digging. You might be better off paying for an ISF calibration of your set, which will usually improve your picture drastically. The calibrator will easily be able to adjust the overscan and centering.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Peter said.

6. Yuli

Yuli Agent

Thanks for the quick replies.

I live just outside of Toronto, Canada. Where can i find an ISF or similar calibrator in this area?

I just got this tv (less than a month old). Are these things common? Should i get a replacement or just look for away to adjust the overscan, etc?

Thanks again

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Yuli: Here is the website of the ISF (Imaging Science Foundation): http://www.imagingscience.com/ . It has links to most of the information you need.