What's new

Something I haven't understood about HDR (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Excuse me for starting a new thread about this. Didn't know where to post my question.
I haven't understood something about UHDs and this HDR business.

I have a 43 inch 4K monitor that doesn't support HDR.
So, is it possible for me to watch UHDs with this screen (of course I should have a UHD bluray drive) or not?
Because I see occassionally some screenshots of UHDs that are desaturated (with no HDR) and I thought that I'll be seeing a movie like that?

2011i1.png

094540.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will need a 4K/UHD drive or player to watch a 4K disc on your current display without any UHD format such as HDR or Dolby Vision.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thanks. I was just baffled why when you take a screenshot from a UHD disc it's desaturated like this. anyway...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Thanks. I was just baffled why when you take a screenshot from a UHD disc it's desaturated like this. anyway...
I have a UHD player hooked up to a 60" 1080p Panasonic plasma and I don't see anything resembling the images above, though some players are apparently better than others at converting HDR to SDR. I only have about a dozen or so discs, but they all look excellent with no colour or contrast issues. The only thing I've noticed is that some daylight shots on Starship Troopers look a little blown out, but the 4K disc is still a noticeable improvement over the old blu-ray on my system.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
What I'm baffled about is how they can show me the side by side comparison of what 1080p vs UHD and HDR and non HDR looks like on a standard 1080p tv!! :huh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watch UHD discs on my 5 year old 80" flat screen using the sony x800 and have found anything with HDR seems to be too too dark.

Die Hard was almost unwatchable without doing some serious tweeking.
I have HDR turned off on the player as far as I can tell but it's still too dark.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've watched a couple 4K (presumably HDR) discs on my non-4K projector and haven't noticed any issues with the video quality (it looks very good).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's not really the TV that's the issue - it's the way the player converts HDR to SDR. The Panasonic player that I have seems to do a very good job.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I watched 2001 UHD on my Panny 7000 projector (1080p) the other night. It looked fine (to my eyes) and sounded incredible!

Still waiting for either 77"+ 4K OLED prices to drop significantly, or I'm enticed by a 4K projector with crosstalk free 3D capability that's in my price range to arrive before I get completely into the world of 4K.

Meanwhile, one of the biggest benefits of watching 4K down converted to 1080p on my current system is that solid color banding artifacts are significantly reduced.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
though some players are apparently better than others at converting HDR to SDR.

From what I've been told elsewhere I need to convert HDR to SDR in a nonHDR monitor.
I thought that the screen will do it by itself, but apparently they said I need a filter or something like madVR which works with Media Player Classic.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This whole thread seems to be crazy talk. You don't need anything other than the disk, the deck and your TV. If your TV does not support HDR then no HDR content will be sent to it. It gets negotiated by HDMI handshaking.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This whole thread seems to be crazy talk. You don't need anything other than the disk, the deck and your TV. If your TV does not support HDR then no HDR content will be sent to it. It gets negotiated by HDMI handshaking.
Thanks for boiling it down, Sam. Respectfully, I wouldn't call it "crazy talk" as I suspect the OP [like me] wasn't aware of the simple truth you just shared. I have also been wondering about this. Some of the HDR discs I've recently viewed on my [non-HDR] Panasonic 8000 projector seemed seriously lacking on the video front while others looked fine. Is it fair to say HDR content is intended to be viewed on a compatible display and that acceptable image quality cannot be guaranteed if the display isn't HDR capable?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Is it fair to say HDR content is intended to be viewed on a compatible display and that acceptable image quality cannot be guaranteed if the display isn't HDR capable?

No, it really isn't. The non-HDR content is the base layer. It's the default. The HDR content is added on TOP of that. It's not like there are two seperate encodes.

If you are watching SDR content and it looks bad it's either bad for everyone or a problem with your calibration.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No, it really isn't. The non-HDR content is the base layer. It's the default. The HDR content is added on TOP of that. It's not like there are two seperate encodes.

Understood. A non-HDR display like mine will just ignore the encoded metadata in HDR content. To my eyes, native SDR 1080P content generally looks better on my display than 4K HDR content. Maybe it has more to do with Wide Color Gamut? I'm definitely still learning but hopefully I'll have my 4K HDR capable display relatively soon so I'm not overly concerned.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It’s possible you have a misconfiguration on WCG content. Check your display’s recommended settings. Does your set actually support WCG?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Does your set actually support WCG?

I'm sorry as I suspect my previous post may have been misleading. I have a Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector [circa 2012], so no, it has no idea what WCG is. That's why I said it might account for the excessive darkness I see in some HDR content.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Again, I don't think so, it's likely just a calibration problem. I don't know if wide color can be defeated at the source like it can on most displays that support it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks