What's new

Something else we don't need in the TV buisness... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Link Removed
Someone sent me this link, figured people here might find it interesting.
It's times like these, that I wish some wealthy buisness man, who's a big TV fan, would start up a small TV company, and show TV the way it was meant to be seen. Commercial free, Bug Free, and edit free.
Either that, or too bad someone can't start a pirate station up and broadcast TV series released on DVD following the same mantra above... :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, I wanted to work in TV for a long time, but decided NOT to because apparently the presentation quality no longer matters.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's times like these, that I wish some wealthy buisness man, who's a big TV fan, would start up a small TV company, and show TV the way it was meant to be seen. Commercial free, Bug Free, and edit free.
what about tcm?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Or Mark Cuban's HDNet. OK, there are very brief and very translucent bugs, and the occasional short spot for Zenith HD Plasmas, but overall it's tv done right. Content is sorta limited because he insists on broadcasting only true 16/9 1080i, but they have gone so far as to send HD video cameras to Afghanistan and have hired Peter Arnett for their news reports.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
So Nashville has an alternative weekly?

I was put off by the grammatical and punctuation lapses in the piece, but the information is certainly interesting.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
How truly obnoxious. Shouldn't there be some sort of compulsary warning when this is done? I have seen the warnings before on TNT and the like.

cwhite

Second Unit
Time Warner Cable Austin is not carrying KXAN's high def signal? Is KXAN the only high def broadcast station in town?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

The only one I can think of is for movie presentations. If they can time compress a movie with say 2 minutes in 2 hours, then they wouldn't have to edit out 2 minutes to sell commercials.

Of course, they probably would time compress and still edit out 2 minutes and sell 4 minutes of commercials instead...

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Compression technology, which has legitimate uses at TV stations,
I think the 'compression technology' here is refering to bandwidth compression, not time compression. If they are doing things like throwing out duplicate frames I would guess that sophisticated compression setup could be made to do just that.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
My cable comapny carries two NBC stations, WSMV in Nashville and WMC in Memphis. It would be interesting to do a study on the differences in these two channels pertaining to this issue.
The odd fact about it is that I've noticed quite a better picture on the WSMV channel. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks