Something different, clear sonotube!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Richardson, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Tony Richardson

I was fooling around with my sonotube design and decided to make one out of tinted acrylic tube.
    The tube is 16" diameter with burl oak end caps.
    What do you think?=)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

That's very interesting! As long as the plastic tube doesn't present any weird resonances, go for it! The caulking might look a little messy, so I guess you'll have to be careful and might have to use something else for the seal of the endcaps (or maybe just clear silicone caulk.)
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

3. Dustin Haug

Dustin Haug Agent

Like Pat said you'll probably get some resonances from the acrylic. But if you do it neat it would look awesome.
    ------------------
    My DIY sub page

4. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Where do you get that stuff???

5. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

I tried it.. doesn't sound that great. [​IMG]
    Pat nailed it! [​IMG]
    Julian

6. Tony Richardson

I don't believe there would be a problem with the acrylic.
    I used to own a set of Ludwig drums that were acrylic. They did'nt have a problem with resonance but they also could'nt put out a 20 htz note!
    I just did the render for fun, but now I may actually do it.
    It does look kinda cool.
    The idea Pat had for using clear silicone as a glue would make it look clean! I would also probably paint the inside caps black as well.

7. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Why don't you make it a fishtank? no seriously, use 2 tubes and fill the space in between with water, might even solve the resonance problem. One things for sure, it'd be a hell of a conversational piece, "and over to your right is my fish tank with a qts of..." [​IMG]

8. Tony Richardson

Dean, that cracked me up! That would turn a few heads would'nt it. I don't know how the fish would feel though.

9. Dustin Haug

Dustin Haug Agent

You probably aren't really considering it, but I'm pretty sure that the fish tank won't work. David "Fishman" Rivera used to have fish tanks in his car stereo. But if I recall he had to replace the fish every week or so because some coating in the acrilic kept poisoning the fish. He eventually had to use real glass (if I'm not mistaken).
    ------------------
    My DIY sub page

10. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Well you could make the wall of bubbles effect instead of fish, don't know why but those always sooth me to no end. Anyway post an update on how it works out if you make one, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the results.
    Dean

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

12. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Have you gotten a price quote for this stuff? Last I looked they wanted $25/ft of 12" tube. That was a few years ago.
    -Dan

13. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Acryllic fish tanks are very common. In fact, they are the tanks of choice for a lot of fishy people [​IMG]
    Id feel bad for the poor fish that would have to live in the sub. Watching Godzilla would about kill them [​IMG] Heh, I can see them darting around all over the place thinking "AAHHHH GODZILLAAAA!!!!" [​IMG]
    Also, how would you get any type of filtration in it?
    Seriously, if you wanted a water with bubbles look, you could do two tubes, one with the sub and one (slightly larger) to go around it with water in it. Seal the ends with your favorite wood. The water might even help brace the design. You could even put a light on it...sweet!
    Even better, you could put colored oil in the outer tube for a "spencer gifts" look.
    -ikiru
    ------------------
    *Enjoy the Sauce*

14. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

as a fish keeper i dont think it would be wise.heck,i dont really like the fact that i have my tanks in the same room with my ht set up.i have had no troubles yet but my svs is on order..
    probelem with using accrylic is it gets scratched easily but i think it can be buffed out.i have a 1 gallon accrylic tank for a betta and it has a few scratches from moving it and what ever.
    ------------------
    What consumes your thoughts controls your life...Creed

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I always thought there was somthing fishy about the DIY/Advanced forum.... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker