What's new

Something crazy I learned about the chimp. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I just learned that humans can get blood trasfusions from chimps and chimps can get blood transfusions from humans with no ill effects due to the very close DNA. It's almost like human to human or chimp to chimp blood transfusions.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt know that.

Too bad people cant get brain transfers from chimps.

I can think of plenty of people who would probally be smarter after the procedure.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I got the information from 2 different shows about chimps in case anyone was wondering. One of them was the one they've been showing on Animal Planet recently with Jane Goodall. She said you can receive a blood transfusion from a chimp, but not a gorilla or orangutan. The other show I got the information from was a show on National Geogrphic Channel where these 2 brothers visit a bunch of orphaned chimps.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
But the real question is, has anyone ever done it before? I would imagine it would be possible, but wouldn't some of the inherent diseases in both humans and chimps be more easily spread this way?

StephenA

Screenwriter
I think they'd be able to detect any harmful or potentially harmful diseases by screening like they do now when they do blood transfusions with human blood. And yes chimps and humans can easily get diseases from each other. The common cold, the flu, and tuberculosis are 3 big examples that can be passed back and forth without much effort on either species' part.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Then we need to start "chimp farms" so we can harvest their blood!

Of course, I would only get my blood from "free range" chimps, as opposed to those corporate run "chimp-blood factories". :)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I know a lot of people would refuse blood from chimps due to beliefs, misconceptins, etc. I wouldn't refuse it myself though.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'll take two liters of Zira, please.

That is a very interesting fact, but potentially very disheartening given our treatment of apes in general. Their use as blood banks doesn't sound too far fetched to me.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Maybe the monkeys on the planet of the apes have thought of the same thing.

...Wait...apes aren't the same as chimps, are they?

StephenA

Screenwriter
Chimps are a type of ape, but not all apes are chimps. Kind of like a square is a trectangle, but not all rectangles are squares.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Chimp blood? Big deal. Let me know when they can do transplants. I want to have one of those colorful rear ends.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Wasnt there a chimp transplant years ago - a chimp heart was used for a little girl or something.

I would think you wouldnt have a problem with it if it could save the life of someone you love.

I would just be afraid of her taking on chimp characteristics, like swinging from the ceiling fan or picking and eating bugs off the dog :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks