Someone Suggest A Newsgroup Reader

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have always used Free Agent for newsgroup reading and retrieving files. I tried AGENT but found the software very clunky and it often crashed.
    Specifically, when I get the new headers for a group, and let's say it's a popular group with a ton of headers. After reading the messages I'm interested in, I come back a week later and want to get all the new headers posted since my last visit. As far as I can tell, the only way to actually end up with only new headers is to delete all the old ones and then ask the program to get the new ones.
    On Free Agent, this is a breeze. However on AGENT this is a nightmare. Selecting 3000 headers and pressing delete causes the program the freeze. In agent, I believe this was because it actually moved the headers to a TRASH file, when all I wanted was for them to GO AWAY!
    Anyway- Forte (the company who makes these readers) have now merged AGENT and FREE AGENT into one product. They added yEnc decoding which has become a popular compression scheme in binary music groups-- although this is only enabled if you BUY the AGENT version. The worst part is that now FREE AGENT runs on the AGENT framework, so the problems with the program freezing and crashing when deleting 3000 headers I've already browsed is now a part of FREE AGENT as well.
    So, I think it's time to find a new newsgroup reader. I just want something simple, and it must be able to join multipart binary attachments automatically. yEnc decoding would be great, but I guess I could live without it.
    Any thoughts?
    Vince

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I use GrabIt from www.shemes.com. It's relatively clean, has some nice features, and best of all it's completely free. It also does yENC and will combine all of the necessary attachments into the single files that they're supposed to be. It can also support up to four simultaneous connections.
    The only gripe that I have about it, and it's a small concern, is that when you download a very large header group, the CPU will max out to sort everything; but realistically even the largest group I've ever sorted was only about 30 seconds of delay. Oh, wow. Gotta sort? Get a drink from the kitchen. [​IMG]
    Never lost a file yet, except for when the goof who posted it didn't know what he was doing. [​IMG]

3. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Vince - check out Newsbin Pro. I've been using it for a couple of years now and think it is absolutely fantastic. It does everything you want including yENC. It can handle multiple simultaneous downloads (up to the limits imposed by your ISP and/or news provider), can scan and combine the results from multiple news servers simultaneously, and so on.
    It is also built to manage download limits that your news provider might impose. I haven't found a better newsreader.
    -greg

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

John,

I downloaded it, but it has confused me on a few things:

1) Is there anyway to see the contents of a group without actually "subscribing" to it? In free agent, you saw the list of groups and could get new headers without actually adding it to your subscribed groups. No a huge deal, I just hate maintaining a giant list of groups.

2) I noticed that half the groups won't update. I select FULL UPDATE and still see no headers in groups I know should have new headers. Did I mess something up, or does it just take a while?

Greg,

Off to try that one next! Thanks for the tip!

-Vince

5. John_Berger

6. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

John - Newsbin Pro just underwent a major revision (to version 4). I liked it before, but now I think it is fantastic. They cleaned up a lot of inconsistencies and added some great new features.

-greg

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Does any reader offer scheduled activities? I'd love to have it check a group list daily and grab all attachements at a scheduled time.

-vince

8. John_Berger

9. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I just use the one in Outlook XP. Didn't realise there were other dedictated ones.

10. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Vince,
    Tim K. here...have you tried Outlook Express??? I've tried a few others, even some that were mentioned, but to me OExpress seems to be the easiest to use...

My .02
    Tim K.

11. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm a fan of the free Xnews. It's not very intuitive at first, but it is very flexible.
    If you are going to download files, Outlook Express will be the source of a lot of frustration. It doesn't auto-join multipart postings & doesn't support yEnc.
    -Dave

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

14. John_Berger

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm sure that Vince knows how to stay away from Klez and similar virii. Outlook Express is not a very functional newsreader, but there's no reason to go off on an anti-Outlook tangent.

-Dave

16. John_Berger

17. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk