Someone should tackle a big budget movie: Ring of the Nibelungs.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DustinLC, Aug 17, 2005.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

Saw the UK movie Sword of Xanthen (The Ring of Nibelungs). Word is that it inspired Tolkein to write Lord of the Rings. I can see why with the whole cursed ring idea. Oh course, curse ring and gold has been in fairy tales through the ages.

I enjoyed Sword of Xanthen, a 3hr movie. The story is great. Now they need to put a proper budget into remaking this film. If not a trilogy, do a two 3hr movie with the same care as Lord of the Rings.

Of course I'm dreaming [​IMG].

2. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Tolkien wasn't particularly enthused by the Ring of the Nibelungs (Wagner's opera cycle), but liked the source materials, the Volsungasaga (Norse version) and Nibelungenleid (German version).

I haven't seen the Xanthem movie (is that the one with Alicia Witt all growed up?), but there is one significant film version of the Nibelungenleid by Fritz Lang.

3. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

yes and with Kristanna Loken as Brunnhild, who completely convince me as a tough woman warrior [​IMG]. She didn't seem that tall and big in T3 but here, she towers over almost everyone and up to height with all the leading actors.

Before the movie, I know nothing about this mythology except the name Siegfried is familiar. What's the difference between the German and the Norse versions.

I would like to tackle the book. Checked out Amazon but there where too many different versions. I didn't know which one to choose.

Anyway, seems to me this movie is easier to make than LOTR or maybe just because I haven't read the book.

4. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

The Volsungasaga starts with Sigi, son of Odin, and goes through several generations before getting to the tale of Sigurd (Seigfried), Brynhild, and Gudrun (Kriemhild). It's filled with the gods and monsters of Norse mythology.

The Nibelungenlied jumps straight into the story with Seigfried already fully grown and going off to Burgundia where he meets Kriemhild and helps her brother woo Brynhild. The author papers over most of the fantastical and pagan elements of the story. The second half of the story, where Kriemhild gets revenge upon her husband's murderers, makes Kill Bill look like Snow White.

I don't know the best version of the Volsungasaga -- I read a library copy in college -- but the Penguin edition of the Nibelungenlied is great.

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

6. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I personally would love a cinematic version of Wagner's "Ring". I know it is a pipe dream but I can hope.

Anyway, the Washington Opera is doing "Das Rheingold" next year as part of their eventual complete "Ring". That will hold me off.