What's new

Someone PLEASE get John Carpenter to make sequels to Big Trouble... and The Fog!! (1 Viewer)

Matthew Prince

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what John Carpenter is currently working on, but I miss his quirky and fun movies :star: Plus, whenever he links up with Kurt Russell they always take a movie to new heights of inventiveness and catchphrases.

I saw Big Trouble In Little China last night and I was amazed that it's aged well! A sequel could be so brilliant today! :) What John could do is bring back as many of the original cast and crew (except Egg Shen, played by Victor Wong, who passed away in 2001 :frowning:), direct the drama scenes and bring in great Hong Kong stars like Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung (who also has great comedic talents, plus experience in the fantasy martial arts movie genre).

I think it should be possible to get the fantastic Tsui Hark involved. He's produced AND directed many great martial arts movies from Iron Monkey (1993) to Once Upon A Time In China to Black Mask. Some of his fight choreography and camerawork is amazing!

If they could have a plot featuring the Son Of or Return of Lo Pan and more special effects, madness and one-liners, I think we could be on to a winner!

So if any one who knows John, Kurt or the heads at FOX, let 'em know!

ALSO, I'd love to see a sequel to THE FOG.

Man, that was one creepy movie! It was a classic! I loved the way how the fog would come in at any time, even in the day, cover the victim and then somebody would get it! ;)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It's not just a matter of getting John Carpenter to agree to do these, it's a matter of getting studios to pay for them. He's lost clout drastically with a string of flops, and is having trouble getting any production mounted right now.

I have heard some rumblings about a remake of The Fog, with Carpenter's invovlement, because it's been too long for a sequel.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Course, considering how "Escape From LA" turned out, do you really want him to? :eek:

Jason

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I doubt it will ever happen because to do a sequel to BTILC would involve a good amount of cash and the shine is well of John's diamond in the major Studio's eyes at least.

Plus isn't John in a self imposed semi-retirement? I seem to remember reading an interview from a year ago where he implied this.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I read something like that, that at this point he's really only taking on the occasional directing job because the money is too good to turn down. He didn't sound like his heart was really in it anymore.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
The popular comic and novel author Peter David did write a sequel for BTiLC quite some years back and it was bought by the studios but nothing ever came of it.
I had a chance to ask Mr. David some time back about the sequel and he said it all happened so long ago that he didn't even remember what his script contained.

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks