What's new

Someone please check my connection plan...probably not right yet (1 Viewer)

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
Thanks for the cable info on my last post. I have the following connections available on my components, before I turn this stuff on in a few days (waiting on a couple cables) would ya let me know how you would do run this stuff for best signal, just want to double check myself...again. ANYWAY here's what's available:

Yamaha HTR 5560 Receiver
2- Componenet video (dvd and d-tv/cbl)
4- S-video (vcr 1+2,d-tv,dvd)
3- opticle (d-tv/cbl,dvd,cd/r)
Samsung prog.scan DVD
1- S-video out
1- component video out
1 each: digital opticle, dig coax
Samsung HDTV 42" widescreen
2- composite video in with l/r audio
1 S-video out
plus 3 l/r audio vid
Also have Panasonic VCR with just S-video

What's the best layout for best signal, I do NOT have cable TV, mostly rent DVD's and still use rooftop ANT.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Run component cables straight from the DVD player to the TV. Run SVideo from everything else through the receiver, then 1 SVideo cable from the receiver to the TV.

This allows the receiver to do all the switching. Just leave the TV set to 'see' the SVideo feed from the receiver.

When you are ready for some quality DVD viewing, take the extra step to flip the TV to see the progessive-scan feed straight from the DVD player.

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
Sound advice, saved me a couple steps. But not sure what you mean by "flip the TV etc..." Could you spell that out a little for my rookie brain? THANK YOU MUCH!
Chris

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Chris,

I think "flip the TV" = "change the video input on the TV"

With the setup that he discribed, you can keep your TV on the same video input setting and have the receiver do all of the switching (for everything except the DVD player). When you want to watch a DVD, then you will change the input on the TV to the corresponding component cable input.

But the more I look at your list, it looks like you only have 1 S-video device, 1 component device and a 1 RF device. So, I wouldn't route any video through the receiver at this point. Just hook the DVD player, VCR and roof top antenna directly to the TV and change TV video inputs to switch between the sources. You will use less cables this way and when you do buy more video sources (HDTV satellite....) then you can use your receiver to do the video switching.

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
OK, understand that, thanks. But I think I lose the option of digital audio out of my DVD player..no dig. input on TV, or am I missing something basic here in my thinking (this is REALLY NEW

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
OK, understand that, thanks. But don't I lose the option of digital audio out of my DVD player as there is no dig. input on the HDTV, or am I missing something basic here in my thinking (this is REALLY NEW to me. I don't want to lose any connection that may enhance the quality, even if it means extra cabling)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh... You have separate connections for Video and Audio. We were only focusing on the video options.

From the DVD player:

- Run Component cables to the TV for VIDEO
- Run coaxial-digital cable to the receiver for AUDIO.

To watch a DVD you must:

- Turn on the TV
- Flip the TV input to the component feed
- Turn on the receiver
- Flip the receiver input to the DVD digital feed
- Turn on the DVD player

Is this more complete?

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
OK, the fog is lifting...that connection would be better than running DVD component video right to the the receiver, right? And just use digital audio coax vs. optical..not sure of the difference if any.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
It is a toss up between digital coax and optical. There have been endless debates about which is better. Just use whichever one you want.
Yes, it would be best to just hook the DVD video directly to the TV. The less connections in the chain, the less chance for introducing problems.
Just try to think of the video and audio as two completely different things. Your TV makes images, so send all the video stuff there. Your receiver makes sounds, so send all of your audio stuff there. I don't have any audio hooked to my TV, only video. I never use my TV speakers, so my reciever is turned on whenever I want to watch/listen to something. But, since you are using a rooftop antenna you will have to use your TV speakers to watch the antenna feed, unless your TV has "speaker outputs". These outputs will be stereo RCA style plugs (if you list the model of your TV we can tell you if it does). You can take these audio-outs (again, if your TV has them) and run them into your receiver so that you can have your HT play the audio side of your antenna feed.
But if you do want to use your TV speakers, so that you don't always have to turn your receiver on then you will have to make two audio connections for each piece of gear. One to the receiver and one to the TV.
Once you get it all figured out it will seem like second nature to you!:)

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
Thanks many times for your experience and options. I have been away on biz for a week and now am settling back to deal with the hookups... Finding out that home theatre can get confusing especially for a first timer. ANYWAY... I think I need a bit more direction, please. Here is what I have done in a nutshell
From DVD: component vids to receiver component vids.
opticle audio digital to receiver digital input
From receiver: component vids from "monitor out" to my
HDTV component vid in.
QUESTION: Do I run audios from the DVD to the receiver AND from HDTV to receiver so I can use receiver when listening to TV only (don't want to ever use TV speakers)
If this helps, here is my equipment:
Samsung 42" HDTV
Samsung prog.scan DVD-P421
Yamaha HTR 5560 receiver 6.1 channel
Panasonic VCR (lousy and no s-video.. hooked up OK)

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I asssume that this is the TV that you have: Samsung 42" TV. If so, then on the back of the TV you have a set of connections that are labled "monitor out". If you want to use your receiver to listen to television that you are picking up via your rooftop antenna, then these are the connections you will use. Connect these left and right RCA style jacks to an input on your receiver that isn't already being used. Then when you are watching the antenna feed, just switch your receiver to this input and you will be able to listen to it through your HT speakers.
Don't hook your DVD player audio up to your TV, just run the digital out of your player to your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks