Someone Once Said......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay_Scott, May 21, 2002.

1. Jay_Scott

Jay_Scott Stunt Coordinator

That most calibrators, installers, what have you...have said that there are two brands when it comes to RPTV: Mits & Pioneer...and then there is everything else.

Well, I was wondering what was said about Receivers. Are there any brands that stick out as the best? I am looking at the Pioneer Elite THX Ultra 2 certified (not sure on the actual model number...sorry).

~Jay

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Well, I'm sure you are going to hear from a lot of RPM owners who don't have Mitsubishi or Pioneer units that will dispute what you've heard. (When I purchased my Pioneer Elite RPM - still working - 12 years ago it was the best and I'm told that it's still up there at the top (Pioneer Elite) of a short list of contenders. But the list doesn't stop at two.

Also, Plasma and Front Projection has entered the picture (no pun intended) so this is not as clear cut as you might think.

And in the area of receivers, while Pioneer Elite is a very good brand there are many other super receivers that should also enter the mix. Some of these would include (but not be limited to - since I don't want to offend others not mentioned) Denon, B&K, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. etc.

I'm certain others will chime in with their recommendations.

And then there is the world of separates which makes the possibilities even greater. As the price of pre/pros and amps drop and as the super receivers get more and more costly, it is no longer true that separates will cost more than a "mega receiver" so it becomes a matter of priorities and personal preferences.

Good luck in your search for HT nirvana.

3. Jay_Scott

Well, it took me months and months of research, debate, on again off again in my mindset to finally decide on the RPTV I went with, which was the 73" Mits.

I'm not really looking forward to the same with my A/V Receiver. Hopefully, with some help, I can find what I am looking for. But, as it is, I'm pretty uneducated on these things. During the research I did for the TV, I was able to educate myself as I went along, and I do hope to do the same with the receiver end of the situation. I'm not looking for anything insanely expensive, $4000 is probably topping it for me on the price range.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Jay,

For that kind of money I would go with separates... although there are a few high end quality receivers.

5. Jay_Scott

Forgive the uneducated, but what are "Seperates"?

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Separates are a processor and an amplifier. A receiver is both in one box. Three popular processors on this forum are the Outlaw 950, the Rotel 1066 and the Anthem AVM-20. Also keep your eyes open for the new Aragon Stage 1. The benefits of separates is first and foremost sound. Most people would argue this is the preferred way to go. The second reason is when you upgrade you only need to buy the processor since you will already have an amp.

7. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jed M,
    regarding receiver vs. separates... it's true what you say about having to change the processor only when upgrading, but I have two questions:
    a) is it necessarily true that the amplifier in a receiver is gonna be of less quality than a separate amplifier? I pressume that that's only true if the amplifier are expensive (and good) enough, but then the total equipment is probably going to be more expensive that a high end receiver alone, isn't it?
    b) Concerning upgradability and connecting to the previous question, if you don't have THE MONEY to buy those ultra-high-end amplifier that you know will last for all your life, upgrading the whole quipment is going to be also very expensive, don't you think?
    SInce many people here goes the separate way, I think I must be wrong, but I can't see where...

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Ferran, good questions. I really am limited in my knowledge of amplifiers but I will answer this to the best of my ability. If ones budget is a maximum 4000 they should easily be able to find a great amp and a good processor for the money. There are many 5-7 channel amps under 2k that would last as long as you wanted it to. Sherborn, Sherwood, Norh LeAmp, Marantz, Outlaw, Parasound, Rotel all make amplifiers in that price range that should really smoke any amp in a receiver with maybe the exception of one of the new flagships by Pioneer or Denon. The other advantage of having a separate amp is having its own power supply so it doesn't have to share power with the processor.
    As far as your second question goes I guess if you accept my first answer then I answered your second question. [​IMG] To give you an example I will use my situation. I purchased the Outlaw 950 processor and 770 amplifier for around 2600. Arguably if I wanted a receiver that could match this combo sonically I would have to buy a 2600-4000 dollar flagship receiver. Now, when I upgrade is where I save money in this situation. While someone with a flagship receiver has to re-purchase everything, I can spend 1500 on a new processor and still have better or the same quality amps as a flagship receiver. Also, you can spend the same amount as you would have with a receiver, around 3000, on just a processor and start really moving up in the world of music and ht. Once you get to these type of processors many companies offer buy back or trade in programs that I hear are very favorable so that is another way of saving money. So what is the positive of receivers? One box and more features for the most part. That is at least the way I see it. I apologize if I confused you, hopefully this is what you were asking.

9. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

While I agree with most of the arguements of pre-pro+amp vs rcvr...I will add that I find that there are an awfull lot of inexpensive, not-overpowering 5/6/7 channel amps out there that may not provide as good a sound as what (only as an example here) a denon 5803 can ...the pre-pro section of a rcvr doesn't draw much current, so a fat toroid in a flagship rcvr can often hold it's own against seperate (low-mid grade) amps.... Now, the combination of multiple 2 & 3 channel amps (provided they are matched) is tough to beat!!!!

10. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

IMO, based purely on sound, here is the list of best 6.1 receivers ordered from best on down:

1) B&K
    2) Denon
    3) Marantz
    4) Onkyo/Integra
    5) Elite
    6) Yamaha
    7) Sony
    8) JVC

If you are looking into features the list gets scrambled.

This is only my opinion based on my ears. Others will surely differ.

11. Jay_Scott

See....I'm learning already.

I'm not that educated on the subject so probably just going with the receiver all-in-one type of thing will work best for me. I'm leaning toward either the Pio Elite VS-49TX (?) or the new Denon 5803, both of which seem to do just about the same thing.

12. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

only change I'd make is 6 & 7 for 4 & 5 (ES that is)

13. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Jay, I am sure you would be very happy with either the 49tx or the 5803. There seems to be a very vocal following on this forum praising the 49tx, which I probably would have bought (or the Onkyo 989) if I had not gone the separates route. If you have decided on this route you should either do a search on this forum about either one, or start a new thread that says something like, "5803 or 49tx?" I am sure people will flock to that one and give you plenty of advice. I can't give much advice on either except to say you will be very very happy. [​IMG]

14. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Such a list as Aslams is not possible. I would agree that MSRP though, is a good indicator of quality/features, but beyond that, the necessities of great home theater is available from the top of the list to the bottom. Pick your receiver based on price/features and your own preception of what sounds the best to you. With a budget of $4k, you will be looking at the flagship end of the market. Any receiver you choose will be better for you than any receiver you decided to pass on. There is no rocket sceince here, just choices. Make a decision on your own and live happily until it's time to upgrade which will require you to make choices and decisions again. Good Luck

15. Jay_Scott

That is, for the most part, the decision I came to in choosing a RPTV. I had a few choices, but realized I'd be pretty happy with whichever one I went with. And even in that I am still on the fence with a Mits 73" or the Pio Elite 720HD.

Course, if I get the Elite 49TX and the Elite DVD Player, it might be nice to have Elite all around, but again, I dunno...and this is a Receiver Forum, not a RPTV one.

16. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Jay:

Regarding your $4K limit, and your primary choice so far, the Pioneer 49 receiver, you can have the 49 shipped to your door for $2400. You'd get a great receiver and be well under your budget.

Edit:
    As to top brands, in no particular order:
    Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha & HK (the HK8000 is a steal for its street price).

Rich B.