What's new

Someone just punctured my S-center (1 Viewer)

Damien

Supporting Actor
I just woke up today and looked at my JBL S-center. There is a puncture in the RIGHT woofer!!! WTF. The thing is, I did not do this. The last 2 days I had friends(12 and 13) over to play X-box games, for around 5-6 hours each afternoon. I never checked it. but I never noticed it either. In fact last time I really looked at it was a week ago but I know it happened recently. This has me seething :angry: I just got this thing in February!!! Is there any kind of warranty that covers this? I got it from electronicsemall.com. I always left the grilles off with no problem but if I find out my company did this than they won't be in my room again. And I guess it's not smart to leave the grilles on. Or is it possible to get one of the woofers replaced.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If this was orignally there, then you could have exchanged it. No warranty covers damage inflicted by the consumer after the fact. Yes it can be replaced. Consider contacting JBL for how to go about this.

Damien

Supporting Actor
it doesn't really sound that different than it did without the puncture. Seeing though as the speaker is listed at $300, the woofer may be expensive. But I only paid $150, and since it is such a good performer I wouldn't mind giving them the extra money I saved off the store price when I bought it. i will email them and call them to see, because there website has no clear warranty, and neither does the manual(i may of threw away the card, it might have been three years). Even though the damage was inflicted by a friend, not me, the warranty is still void?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear about your S-Center! :frowning:
Looking over my JBL Warranty slip, the S-Center comes with a 5-Year Limited Warranty (including enclosures), from the date of the first consumer purchase.
Unfortunate, ... from the slip ...
covered: damage caused by accident, misuser, abuse, product modification or neglect; ...
... So, it looks like your damage is not covered.
Cost though, should be around $88 + S/H based on the cost of my JBL S26 6.5" Woofer ...
Part Number: 335148-001
Description: WOOFER, 6.5" - S26,S412P (B8)(936,22526)
Price: $88.25
Availability Date: 7/5/02
Hopefully, you can just buy the driver and replace it yourself.
Phil

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
well if you are feeling a bit deviant, you could go get another s-center, switch the old one into the new box and then return it saying that it was there when you got it. if you got lucky and found a floormodel on sale at a bestbuy or something it would be easier. im not advocating you do this, but just that it can be done.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info

The following are not covered: damage caused by accident, misuser, abuse, product modification or neglect;
argh.. that sucks

i called best buy and they said they would ship it out somewhere and while it's there get an estimate. I will call JBL customer service and ask them how much it will be to send the speaker to them and replace the woofer. I don't think it will be too much. I did see something called one-time self-service where they give you a part free, but i'd have to check that again

Unfourtanately I am not at all familar enough with drivers to install the woofer myself, maybe with some research i could learn. $88 is not bad though. Again, the difference before the puncture and now is pretty marginal since I probably used it and didn't know a problem existed. Still it screwes up the appearance of my system and at the same time is probably messing up the dynamics of the sound. So I will have to replace it. First I have to figure out who did it, it's between two or three people max so it won't be hard.

Damien

Supporting Actor
thats some good thinking there david:)
i would have to make sure it is the correct model, since I think I have a 1999 model. Some stores and sites are getting the S-center 2, and getting rid of the s-center I have

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Replacing a driver is very easy. It would just be several hex nut screws and a couple wires.

Now by puncture do you mean there is literally a hole in the dust cap, cone or surround somewhere? Or has the dust cap just been punched in and dented?

If it's a hole you really should notice the difference. If the hole is small (pin hole to medium nail size) just get a sealant of some sort and seal it up (ask in the DIY/Advanced area what would work best). If the hole is too big for this or you don't want to just patch it, then you'll have to replace the driver.

If the dust cap is just dented you won't hear a difference. The dust cap doesn't affect the sound. Just use some tape or a vacuum nosel to undent the dust cap and forget about it.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Replacing a driver is very easy.
Damien - Dustin is Right!!

Here's the process, if JBL sends you the speaker, its a matter of

1) Removing 4 hex head screws
... a) Requires 1/8" (.125) Hex Key tool
... b) Unscrew = counterclockwise direction

2) Unclipping two wires connectors
... a) Usually Red wire = Positive side
... b) Usually Black wire = Ground (or Negative side)
... c) NOTE: The speaker frame or terminals will be identified with "+" (plus) and "-" (minus/negative).

3) Reclip the two wires connectors on the new speaker
... a) "+" (pos) to "+" (pos); "-" (neg) to "-" (neg)

4) Locate speaker and add the 4 hex head screws
... a) Screw-in = clockwise direction
... b) Don't over tighten the screw

5) While you're at it, carefully check the left woofer 4 hex head screws, making sure it's snug.

That's pretty much the extent of it.

Phil

Damien

Supporting Actor
If the dust cap is just dented you won't hear a difference. The dust cap doesn't affect the sound. Just use some tape or a vacuum nosel to undent the dust cap and forget about it.
That is what i wanted to hear! It is the right woofer's dust cap(I assume the small circle in the center of the woofer). So if you gently place a vaccum asscesory next to the dent it will suck out. I will try that later. I haven't talked 2 individuals possibly responsible but you saved them from a mouthful. I should of known to leave the grille on with 13 year olds who have 0 expirience with HT speakers. Now that I am aware that it is a cosmetic blemish, i have calmed down a lot, because then I could just put the grille back on. Now that I think of it I should of used the word dent instead of puncture, but I was pretty scared when i woke up and saw that on my speaker. Another reason for this is my dad told me if a woofer has a dent, then the woofer is ruined. but now i know that isn't true. thanks for the help

The info about the driver replacement is very useful just in case an oppurtunity arises where I can replace this woofer.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you want to keep kids away from your stuff, put in a plant called the screw pine.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The three methods generally used to undent a dusk cap are:

Put some tape on the dent and quickly pull it off hopefully pulling the dent out. Usually takes a few tries.

Put a vacuum up to it and suck it out.

Or the one I'm not keen on. Puncture it with a bent pin, and use the pin as a hook to pull it back out. Then seal the pin hole back up.

Users who are viewing this thread