Someone is pinging my firewall, need advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve_Tk, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Every day and sometimes twice a day my firewall says a person tried to get on my computer with a Back Door SubSeven Trojan Horse. Now I have no clue what this means.

It says I do not have to do anything because the firewall stops it. But I'm a little paranoid.

What should I do. I have no clue why this would be happening to me. I really only read message boards.

Any advice?

Oh, I have the Norton Firewall.

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

3. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

I have zone alarm installed:
    14797 Intrusions have been blocked since install
    952 of those have been high rated

I say don't worry about it, the firewall is doing its job.

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Welcome to the internet. I'd be surprised if those things weren't happening, especially if you have an always-on connection.

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Welcome to the internet. If you have any sort of broadband you'll be pinged and scanned, and all sorts of other things constantly. There's no reason to do anything. That's why you have a firewall.

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Two options.

1: Ignore it; they're probably just scanning your subnet. Think of it as a burglar walking down the street, noting which houses have lights on and off.

2: Start rejecting packets from their IP address/block. You might not have this option if you're running 'personal firewall' software.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Get a router with NAT.

I went broadband last summer and used a 4-port Netgear router/modem from the start. My ZoneAlarm incoming alerts went from a couple of thousand a month, down to zero.

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Or, use samspade.org to track their IP address and get an abuse contact at their ISP. Email or phone them, and let them know whats going on. Then you'll help yourself and help some other net user who probably is not smart enough to know his/her computer is infected.

10. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

While on the topic. I use Norton Internet security but would like a little more security. Would a simple firewall that uses NAT be good enough or one of the fancier higher end ones be best?

Thanks,
    Jeff

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Personal firewalls (Norton, Zonealarm) can be helpful, but they are no defense against a determined attack or a new/emerging threat.

Could you list some examples of what damage someone could do if the software-only firewall is running? (Assume the user has an always-on connection but isn't sharing drives or files and is not on a network.) I'm curious.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's pretty cheap to buy a DSL/Cable modem router/firewall/ with NAT, and also have Zone Alarm running on the PC. That's what I do.

14. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Yep. The cool thing about Zone Alarm is that if you do get infected with a Trojan Horse that's trying to send stuff out, ZA will block it.

15. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Comedy 'welcome to the internet' option.

Though I will say get a hardware firewall/router. It's just more secure, and if you ever get another computer or a friend comes over etc. you can share your connection.

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Does it say that someone actually tried to get it? Or just that a program is using a port that is normally associated with that trojan? I recieved that message the other day,but I think the port number was just a coincindence.

I'd say to stop using it blindly. It's a great contact management/email tool if used correctly. There are defaults that need to be shut off, but once done, you are fine. Provided that you don't do something stupid like open up attachments, etc...

-Dave

18. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

19. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

A hardware firewall/router can't protect you from a DoS attack. It will become just as overwhelmed as your computer would if it gets spammed with tons of ICMP data or whatever.

A hardware firewall/router is nice to have and they cost next to nothing these days, so that is a good way to go. Still, they don't do anything about outgoing data. You can get a trojan on your machine and your hardware firewall will cheerfully let anything through going out from your computer without a peep, unlike a software firewall which will query you about the traffic at least once.

For the vast majority of people, having up-to-date antivirus software and a good software firewall will put them pretty far ahead in the game. I severely doubt any script kiddie out there looking for a system to compromise will bother with a firewalled one when there are such masses of machines out there with no protection whatsoever.

Either way, not matter which way you go, you can render your firewalls ineffective with ease. For instance, you can do something like putting your computer in the "DMZ" in a router like my D-link instead of just setting the router up to forward FTP connections. The former is much easier than the latter, but the former also totally nullifies the router as a firewall...

20. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter