Someone explain AMPS?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChrisWL, Nov 6, 2003.

1. ChrisWL

ChrisWL Auditioning

Ok, I've been into home theater for a year now and still dont get how seperate amps work. Do they get the signal from the processor, and then go to the speaker?? Or are they seperate from the processor? If they are seperate how do you get the receiver to send just the signal without the power?? What is a preamp?? Where does an EQ fit into this equation?? What other devices can be added to enhance the audio?? I am just curious as to how much better I can get my home theater to sound using all the equipment I mentioned. I am used to just pluggin my speakers into my reciever and thought all that other stuff was way to much of a hassle to understand. Now I am into home theater more and am VERY interested in the potential of a system. [​IMG]

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

An amplifier does nothing more than it's name implies, it amplifies a source signal. In a perfect world there would be no difference betwen different amplifies, they would all sound exactly the same.

A preamp performs all of the processing and decoding duties for the various formats (DTS, DD5.1, etc.) and then sends that signal to the amplifier, from there it goes out to the speakers.

An equalizer, or other processors are basically in line between the preamp and the amp. Equalization, or other processing takes place after the preamp has done it's job, but before the signal is amplified. Make Sense?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. ChrisWL

ChrisWL Auditioning

Thanks guys, you have been a great help!

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

And also keep in mind that an integrated amplifier incorporates both preamp, and amp in the same chassis.

And a receiver is an integrated amp with a tuner built in too.

Nowadays, most receivers are surround-sound receivers, and often come with pre-outs and ins, so you can either utilize just the amplifier part, or use it as just a preamp/processor.

Integrated amps are still pretty much just for 2-channel.