Someone even less talented than Fred Durst

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig_T, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

Congratulations, Andrew WK!

I didn't think it was possible!

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Since when does the modern music scene have ANYTHING to do with talent? Just get your mug on MTV and all is gold. Well, he better make his millions now...they won't be there forever.

NP: Unique What I Got Is What You Need

Bruce

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

What is the story with this guy? I never heard of him until SNL- and figured he was some pro wrestling buddy of the rock- and that's why he was on the show.

I seriously thought he was kidding-- he danced like a person having a seizure and sounded like GG Allin. His band looked like a bunch of rejects from the New Jeresy hair metal scene.

Is this guy for real? Come on.

-Vince

NP: Refused songs to fan the flames of discontent

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Vince,
    After hearing this horrible band and seeing their popularity grow, I am scared that music is taking another turn for the worse. If bands like this succeed we will be taking a hundred steps back into the 80's metal/hair band days. I hope this does not happen.
    Be scared of "Party Hard", be very very scared. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

6. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

He's not serious. Tongue in cheek, really. He's a classicaly trained pianist with a sense of humor. Listen closely to the lyrics.

Really, he's harmless. He knows what he is; can't say the same thing about Durst, though.

That said, he's going to be huge. They were playing his disc in Tower Records the other day, and people were loving it. It sounds great loud.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Those of you who are criticizing, does that mean you will be seeking music careers?
    I don't like every kind of music...lord knows I can only handle a few seconds of Britney (she wouldn't be bad at all if she wasn't singing [​IMG] ), but to say that someone has no talent yet is successful is to say that they don't know what they are doing, and obviously they do (I agree, that's not an indicator of musical talent). What YOU consider good, someone else may not. It's called an OPINION.
    I did not see this guy on SNL, because I have no interest in the Rock at all. He embodies exactly the same thing that Durst seems to for many of you, he is the a huge star that has absolutely no use whatsoever, made popular by a form of entertainment that also has no purpose other than to make money. "Pro" Wrestling is UTTER CRAP. My opinion, of course.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I've never heard this guy, but.. here's his puny bio on www.awkworld.com:

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. John Garcia

John
    No, I'm not saying the Rock is a meathead at all. I do believe he knows what he is doing, and has talent beyond wrestling that many of the other wrestlers do not. I still have little interest in him (and no interest in wrestling), though I may just go see the Scorpion King for kicks. I don't mind Popcorn movies [​IMG] , because I LIKE to be entertained. That's why I don't mind listening to Limp Bizkit once in a while, and going to see movies that I know are going to have no real substance. It's entertainment, escapism, having a laugh, nothing more. Wrestling is for some too, but not for me.

11. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I caught the SNL with AWK. My friend and I sat in wonder. If he's a joke, its just not that funny to me. If he's serious, I dont think its very good. At this time, I just didn't get it. I have changed my mind in the past though. As to the "off-topic" Rock, he too impressed me. The more I hear him speak, see him on talk shows, SNL etc. I just end up respecting him more and more. He's composed, and appears to be a very smart man.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What most people don't realize is that half of the bulky, sweaty men rolling around on that mat, The Rock included, have Master's degrees (Criminology in this case) [​IMG]
    Watch Beyond the Mat and read Mick Foley's book "Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks" and you may appriciate the art of wrestling a little more.

14. John Garcia

John
    (OK sorry to hijack this thread, but...) I didn't know the Rock had a degree. Good for him. I have heard him speak, on an interview for something, and I did find him to be well spoken, obviously educated. Certainly none of them are fools, because they are all making plenty of cash. The Rock understands that wrestling will not last forever, and he has to branch out into something else such as movies, just like Arnold.
    My problem with wrestling, not the Rock, is that it actually seems to encourage morons to think that they can have a career in fake wrestling and not even consider an education. I hate to say it, but it targets the simplest of minds. It does not promote anything worthwhile, IMO. It's not even real competition... Spectactular and sensational? Yes. Intelligent? No. I'd rather watch cars go fast in a circle for 2hrs...[​IMG] (and I'm not a Nascar fan)
    NOTHING will make me appreciate pro-wrestling.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

16. John Garcia

John
    I watch very little TV, and in particular, I have a strong dislike for sensationalized news where stories are run incessantly or "coverage" of police chases are broadcast...I prefer music over TV any day of the week.

I didn't say everyone should go to college, though it certainly doesn't hurt. Nor am I saying that anyone should not have dreams of becoming something. The point was, it encourages mentality that it is GOOD to aspire to something so idiotic. Not to meniton the pointless, sensationalized violence, ala Gladiatory battle.

Don't forget, these are only my OPINIONS, and I am as much entitled to them as you are to yours.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

John, wrestlers do anything but that
    You talk to ANY of them. They'll tell you to get your degree, THEN go to a wrestling school. They will tell you up front that if you're not working for Vinnie Mac, you're not making any money. All the wrestling schools tell you that up front too.
    But back on topic, I'd definately say there are tons of people out there with contracts with less talent than Fred Durst. At least Fred is open about being a sellout [​IMG]

18. John Garcia

John
    I believe you Jeff, and though they may say and believe that, the image is unintentional. No matter what they say, or how many "stay in school" commercials they do, the "meathead" image is what they portray.

OK, enough wrestling, should be another topic probably more suited to After Hours Lounge...

Also back to the topic: "Boy" bands all have contracts, but we all know they aren't interested in anything but $$$, and they certainly have nothing useful to provide to music. I'll take Durst over N'sync, not because I feel I am taking the lesser of two evils, but because I cannot stand N'sync.

In fact, the funniest thing I've heard in a long time is Matt Pinfield's diatribe about music at the end of Significant Other. Choice quotes:

"lame ass, tame ass, sorry excuses for musicians, who don't even write their own songs...I wouldn't pi$$ on their CDs to put out a fire..."

"radio sucks!...the same weak songs OVER AND OVER AGAIN..."

"...crap taking up space on the charts..."

Durst/LB are having FUN and making money doing it. I don't really think they expected to get as much notice as they did so quickly, for whatever reason. Would you think differently if you were in his shoes making that kind of money?