What's new

Someone assumed my Ebay account/identity! (1 Viewer)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
You know, I've always wondered if the sign in procedure is secure. When you go to the sign in page, there is an option to sign in using SSL. To me, that implies the default sign-in is unsecure.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Zoinks, this all sucks, I've only got a rating of about 6 right now, but even then I'd hate to have my account high jacked. The sad part is EBays so big it's likely a pain to get them to move fast on anything :frowning:
Good Luck,
Brian

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Phew! What a story, you just inspired me to check my current Ebay status. Luckily Everything is hunkey-dorey, but I changed my password just in case. Now its comprised of two "dead" languages, and is intentionally misspelled to boot, lets see 'em guess that one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just an update:

Ebay switched my email address back to my account, set me with up a temp password, and I've already updated my account with a much tougher password. They did removed any and all Ebay listing charges on my account as well from any of the bogus auctions.

Whew!

I do have the perp's email address. What should I do? Is there any law enforcement places I should contact? Just I just go back to "normal" and forget about it?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I do have the perp's email address. What should I do? Is there any law enforcement places I should contact? Just I just go back to "normal" and forget about it?
Since you got everything back I'd turn it in to EBay. What they did also effected them and they may have an easier time finding the person than you would.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I did respond to Ebay, thanking them for the account restoration, and forwarded the email address to them in case they wanted to follow up. Other than that, I guess I will just get on with my online life, I suppose.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Java Bomb him ;)
Man it drives me nuts to hear about people that are really that mean :angry: Make sure that you do everything within your power to catch and prosecute this guy.
KyleS

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Since the perp was getting people to mail her/him money, I think this falls into mail fraud. Contact your local postal inspector and see if they have any interest in going after the creep. Or contact the DA in the county where he/she resides and see if they have anyone willing to prosecute identity theft. Don't let this ass get away with it.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Since the perp was getting people to mail her/him money, I think this falls into mail fraud
Absolutely Mark that is a great idea and they will go after her and its a federal offense. That will sting if they can get whoever it is.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks