Someone assumed my Ebay account/identity!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finally, someone somehow managed to take control of my ebay account (I only knew because I got an email from Ebay telling me that my Ebay email address was changing and if I didn't authorize such a change, to check to see what's going on). They must have guessed my password somehow, or have a backend way to accessing ebay accounts. Grr...

Whoever this creep was, they listed 2 laptop auctions yesterday with Buy-it-now designation, kept the identity of the bidders secret, and listed that only money orders/cashier checks would be accepted. There are a few other auctions that were started today, but now show no information.

Now my account also has been dinged with over $120 in listing fees/auction fees. They tried to guess my credit card expiration date, the one they entered is wrong. I saw this on my "Account Status" page.

This sucketh mightily. I've sent in a "Contact Support" report to Ebay, not too optimistic of getting this resolved, and will have to face the prospect that some A-hole is ruining my perfect Ebay record with their avarice.

Should I be doing anything else? I can't log into my account because it's got a "suspend" mode assigned to it right now.

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Make sure you document everything..make printouts of any electronic records you have; like the email asking you to confirm the change of addy thing.

Also, you might consider pre-emptively getting new credit cards.

Ebay should take care of their end...identity theft isn't something they can afford to let happen with impunity, obviously.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, the change of email has been sent to the new email address (and until they confirm it, I have been placed in unregistered status). Once they confirm it, I'll have no control over my account (unless Ebay acts in time).

I have printed up the bogus auctions listed under my user name.

What a hassle! Ack!

4. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Man that bites the big one! I believe there are also places you can contact or visit on the web that have to do with internet fraud. Put in a complaint to them. Do you have this jokers email address? I'm assuming since Ebay contacted you on confirming your email change that they listed the email you "supposedly" wanted your account changed to on their email to you to confirm. Have that email traced and contact that persons ISP and complain about the fraud that is and has taken place by one of their members.
    Good luck to you. I hate to hear things like this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Man that sucks I feel for you. You just want to be able to track these guys down and kick their asses. [​IMG]
    I agree I would check into getting your cards that you had on Ebay changed immediately.
    KyleS

6. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Start a bogus account, win the bid for the laptop, get the address to send the money to and send the cops the info. It's probably going to be a PO box but you/they can still find out who owns it. Either that or bid everything up to ... one million dollars!

Ebay won't help. That's why they don't take phone calls.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Patrick; please keep us up to date!

Good luck!

Brent

8. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I like the bogus account idea. Besides, if EBay doesn't come through for him, I would refuse to pay ANY fees whatsoever. Whatever you do, Patrick, don't let someone else win the bid on those items. If they do, they will leave negative feedback, screwing your account. By creating a bogus account (or many, if necessary), you're doing two things:

1. Protecting your feedback rating while you wait for eBay to sort this out.

2. Protecting the buyer this guy is trying to scam in your name.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

10. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

That sucks,man.
    My company sells items through ebay and i'm the person who ends up talking to people in your position (what are these auctions?)....it is a mess sometimes.

I sometimes check email at an internet cafe, and one of my accounts went haywire, even though i thought i had logged out and deleted the cookies and all that jazz.

Cyberworld....love it/hate it sometimes.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The 2 auctions were already closed with "Buy-It-Now" by the time I found out. I can't fake bid.
    Anyhow, here's some more details: Some guy from Italy calls my home number (where he got my number, I have no idea) and leaves not one, not two, but three voice mails on my answer machine. It seems he won one of the laptops, and had reservations about sending a money order/cashier check to someone in New York (I got a name on one of the voice messages, but have no idea how to spell the last name). He sounded really stressed by the change in email and the location, and wanted me to email him back (he tried leaving me his email address, but it was unintelligible, but the address ended with an "it" for Italy).
    So I went ahead and recorded a new greeting on my answer machine in case he calls back tomorrow telling that it's a scam and not to send any money to a New York address, and also told him my email address in hopes that he'll email me, and re-email the bogus seller's email address/snailmail address.
    Of course, all the other telemarketers will be very confused when they call my number tomorrow. [​IMG]

12. Damian James

Damian James Stunt Coordinator

http://www.msnbc.com/news/784132.asp?pne=msn

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, I tracked down one of the email addresses of one of the potential victims, and the caller from Italy seems to be "legit". So I sent him an email warning him not to send money to the New York address. I sort of tracked down the other bidder in the other auction and sent him email too, but he's got a strange bidding history (like he's now bidding on the same laptop model, but at the minimum price with a much higher Buy-it-now price, so I'm confused about the 2nd bidder).

14. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Argh

Keep us posted.

I am sure ebay will delete any negative feedback from this ordeal???

15. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    PS:

I was involved in a fraud case 2 years ago, where Ebay actually paid me $200, from their insurance company (which took 6 months). Anyways, the defrauder gave me a negative feedback and a neutral feedback, and ebay (though giving me a refund of $200) still refused to remove the negative and neutral. Too weird.

16. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

17. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Shit, that is seriously scary stuff. No wonder I havn't tried E-bay or any other site like E-bay, all for reasons like this.

18. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

Believe it or not, this actually happenned to me two days ago. I was able to intercept the change before any auctions were started, but my user id was changed, and Ebay has done nothing to change it back.

19. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think there's a system wide security hole that some hackers managed to hack in and make all these changes to many Ebay user accounts.