Somebody please convince me NOT to get the Bose 161's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattDA, Jan 29, 2003.

1. MattDA

MattDA Auditioning

I have a modest HT setup - an Onkyo HTS-650 HTIB system. I recently added a Sony SAWM40 sub and added the polyfill to enhance the bass because my HT room is extremely large. I'm happy so far but the large room is causing my next problem:

My surround sound speakers are still the one's that came with the Onkyo HTIB. They are about 8 feet behind the listener mounted on the ceiling about 9 feet up. I have no other options of where to place the surrounds, and they are simply not getting the job done in my opinion.

I want to buy an affordable (less than $200) set of surrounds that will fill the large room better, and so far, the Bose 161's seem like a decent choice because of their multi-directional aspect, and their size.

Any other ideas or options in this price range for surrounds?

2. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm just guessing, but i doubt those bose 161s would be ANY better than rears included w/ the Onkyo package. I'm not sure if the speakers and placement your problem as much as calibration. If you have your speaker levels properly calibrated with a SPL meter and a calibration disc, and the problem persists, then you can start blaming speakers and placement.

If that's the case, I think a better use of your $200 would be new mains, and moving the Onkyo mains to the back. The Onkyo mains will offer better response and higher sensitivity than the surrounds, which should compensate for placement some. if you could up your budget to around $250, you could pick up a pair of JBL N28 mains AND the matching N-Center, which would be a greatly upgraded front soundstage and let you move those Onkyo mains to the back.

Another pro for going this route is that if/when you upgrade the receiver to a 6.1/7.1 receiver, you'll have the Onkyo surrounds or Onkyo center to use as the back surround(s).

Hope this helps [​IMG]