What's new

Some Yamaha Questions Answered by Yamaha (1 Viewer)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Recently, a few questions about Yamaha products have come up throughout this forum in several threads and I decided to get some answers. I emailed the Service Manager at Yamaha Canada and got back responses very quickly. Since the questions have come up in several threads, I'll summarize all the Q&As in this single thread with references to the originating threads.

Q: I have a full set of JBL Studio Series speakers (6 for a 6.1 set up). They are all timbre matched 3-way speakers, i.e. they all have 1" titanium tweeters, 4" midrange drivers, and similar low-freq woofers ranging from 5.25" to 10". My front speakers are large floorstanding towers with 10" woofers, and the common tweeter and midrange driver. My center has the common tweeter and midrange but it has dual 5.25" woofers. The 3 surrounds each have the common tweeter and midrange but 6" woofers. That being said, I've run the parametric equalization in "FLAT" mode and was pleased with the results so I didn't try the other modes. Would you recommend, considering the fact that my front speakers are so much larger than the rest, that I should run the parametric equalization in "FRONT" mode instead? The manual is unclear about this and only says to use "FRONT" mode if/when the front speakers are of higher quality than the rest. What exactly does the manual mean by "higher quality"? All my speakers are built with identical materials, all timbre matched with common tweeters and midrange drivers, but the fronts are much larger than the rest. Does that qualify my front speakers as "higher quality" than the rest of the speakers in my set up?
A: Based on your speakers I would set it up as you have. Higher quality means just that. Higher quality speakers not bigger.
Originating Thread: On a related note, how did you run the Parametric EQ? Flat? ...

Q: Is Yamaha planning to release an RX-V line receiver higher than the 2400 to fill the huge gap between the RX-V2400 and flagship RX-Z1? For example, is there a plan to launch an RX-V3400, as there was an older RX-V3300.
A: No.
Originating Thread: Are there any rumours or suspiscions of a model being produced that bridges the gap between the RXV2400 and flagship RXZ9 recievers...

Q: I understand Yamaha's policy about not providing a manufacturer's warranty on their products if they are not purchased from an Authorized Reseller. However, there is some talk on Home Theater Forum about that rule only applying to the RX-V line of receivers, i.e. people are saying that the warranty still applies to the HTR line of receivers even if those receivers are purchased from non-authorized Yamaha resellers. Do you know if that's true? I ask because I have convinced a friend of mine to purchase a Yamaha receiver and he is considering the HTR-5790.
A: Home theater forum is not Yamaha. We only provide warranty on Canadian products sold through our authorized dealers regardless of the model.
Originating Thread: Wayne, are you implying that Yamaha will honor a warantee of an HTR that wasn't purchased from an authorized internet seller? ...

Q: How does the HTR-5790 compare to the RX-V1400 and RX-V2400. Based on the spec sheet alone, it seems to be the same. Are higher quality components used in the RX-V line? I understand the HTR line is intended for mainstream stores (FutureShop, Best Buy, etc.), but from a consumer standpoint what is the point of paying more money for an RX-V1400 when the equivalent HTR-5790 can be had for much less?
A: The 1400 and the 5790 are the same except the model numbers to differentiate sales channels.
Originating Thread: What is the point of making the HTR and RX series then. They look the same to me. Just odd since I can't think of any other company that does that...

I hope this helps clear up some Yamaha-related confusion for people.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
nice post muneeb - thanks for doing the legwork!

personally, i'm glad to know the 1400 & 5790 are similar ... which is pretty much what i figured anyway. darn marketing politics...

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Muneeb.......that was my question.
Bummer though that the answer is no.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Thanks for that info! I would have liked to see what his comments are about the 5760's YPAO that doesnt include the "P" portion haha. I agree with some of the others on the forum that if the reciever does not include the parametric eq then Yamaha should not market it with that acronym.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
oh i already read yours wayne!! :D

i am just curious to see how they will respond to you. I have always been apposed to any major equalization and I cant justify paying the difference between the 5760 and the 5790, so I will be probebly be going with the 5760.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks