What's new

Some Words about...THE INVISIBLE MAN (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The new DVD is not as good as it could have been...

Apparently, MCA is still having issues with quality control...

I understand the transfer looks good...

But there are still problems...

This info is from Ray Faiola...

Contrary to rumors, the latest incarnation of THE INVISIBLE MAN on DVD is not
from new elements. And, sadly, they still have the stupid newly-recorded piano
rendition of "Hearts and Flowers" dubbed over the radio orchestra piece for
which Universal did not want to pay music rights. Like ANYBODY would notice!

It's also very puzzling how spotty Universal is with supplemental materials,
namely trailers. Trailers survive for INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS and THE INVISIBLE
WOMAN, yet the only trailer they used on this package was INVISIBLE AGENT.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
For $20 I'm not about to complain about this or any of the Legacy Collections from Universal. A year ago who would have thought all of these would be on DVD with most of them looking better than ever?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was on a real Classic Monsters kick back in Halloween '98, and have been dying to see the Invisible Man and Creatures sequels ever since. I'm not complaining. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
THE INVISIBLE MAN is improved from the original 1999 DVD, as far as I can tell. There wasn't any "major" restoration done to it, but I was glad to see it looking better.

As for the original music, I've never known the movie any other way from how it is now. I've always liked that music anyway - but then again, I have nothing else to compare it to.

Yes, I could quibble about the lack of all the INVISIBLE trailers, but I'm not going to. This is just an incredible deal and collection and I hope Universal keeps 'em coming.
THE MUMMY LEGACY does have all the sequel trailers, at least.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Check out the laser release. It has the original music cue in that sequence. Granted, it is a minor change, but it is still different from what should be on the track.

This isn't the first time that a classic films original mono soundtrack has been tampered with. People get so upset over aspect ratios, and rightfully so. It just surprises me that MCA can release altered audio versions of DRACULA and THE INVISIBLE MAN and nobody seems to care.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Because few people realize the changes and have become comfortable to such alterations after knowing only those changed versions. Unfortunately, I think most people look to film as a more visual art form, thus they place less importance on the sound aspect of a film.

Crawdaddy

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How was the audio altered in Dracula? (Not counting the Philip Glass alternate score track.)

- Steve

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Firstly, the original '99 DVD release of Dracula contained a somewhat restored soundtrack with a great amount of hiss and static reduced. Unfortunately, somehow the opening notes to Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" were swiped.

Now, concerning the new Legacy release, an older soundtrack, probably dating back to the '80's, was used. You know at the end when Van Helsing stakes Dracula? There's about three or four moans, but on the new legacy edition you only hear one. For the second time Universal has messed up Dracula. On top of that, when going from the clean audio on the '99 release to this, the hiss is almost unbearable.

I know these sets are good deal, considering we get three to five movies for about $25. But I'd much rather pay a higher price for properly restored versions. With a few exceptions, almost all of these transfers date back to the 91-94 VHS releases. We're watching transfers that are over 10 years old! Meanwhile over at Warner Bros, they're constantly restoring and remastering films and utilizing NEW transfers, not ones they created for VHS and laserdisc releases.

There's really no excuse for Universal, they're just too lazy and greedy. These classic films deserve much better treatment.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong .. the Universal Classics are my all-time favorite films, of any type or era. Personally,I would gladly pay $30 for each Universal horror film released seperately on its own DVD, fully restored, and with an array of still galleries, budget sheets, poster repros, lobbycards and audio commentaries. This even goes for the lesser titles like JUNGLE WOMAN and THE INNER SANCTUM SERIES. But I don't think this is going to happen. And I remember all too well how much fans complained when the double features of 2001 were $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks