What's new

Some wiring/surge/noise reducer questions (1 Viewer)

Jed Peters

Auditioning
I'm getting the new WEGA 42" LCD rear projection tv, with a new Denon DVD player. I will be hooking it up to a DirecTV HDTV reciever and an antenna.

I was told that I "needed" to get the Monster2 DVI cables @$69/each (x2) for the DVD to TV and the HDTV box to the TV, and I "needed" a Monster sound reducer (at a minimum the $199 model).

Now I'm no genius when it comes to this stuff, but will I be able to tell a difference with regular cables and a regular surge protector?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well you could go to pacific cables for the DVI's. Ummmmmm, what's a Monster sound reducer?

Jed Peters

Auditioning
can't post a link to monster's site, but it's the "home theatre powerbar" that they sell.

Apparenly reduces noise/interference from the cables/plugs.

Tim K

Second Unit
well, I don't know your TV or Satelite HD box...but I'll assume they both offer DVI connections based on the "recommendations" you got. If so, you can buy any brand of DVI cables you want. Monster tends to be better than crappy no-name cables, but much more expensive. Most people around here will recommend other brands of cables that are better than monster and in the same price range. Bettercables is a sponsor so maybe check out their ad at the top of the forum. Just make sure you get cables long enough for your needs.

As for the "sound reducer" I have no idea what that is. Maybe some surge protector/line conditioner that claims to reduce "noise" in the system??? No idea, but I can assure you you don't need it. If you are concerned with protecting your equipment from surges, people here will recommend spending your money on a whole house protector installed at the electric panel ($200 plus labor). Do a search for more info on that.

Frank**F

Grip
I haven't assembled my system yet - speakers and receiver are on order, TV (same model you're getting) will happen in a few weeks. So I can't speak from personal experience.

But I've read a ton of stuff, and lots of the hardcore types say that Monster is overpriced junk. I see a lot of recommendations for bettercables and for bluejeanscables.

You know what? A lot of people also seem to recommend good old Radio Shack for high-quality cables that are realistically priced.

I'm planning to buy Radio Shack cables.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even with a surge and noise filter at the house level, you will still want at least basic surge suppression at the equipment also.

"Sound reducer" would seem to be an A/C Line conditioner, which is never a bad idea, but with whole house protection, you won't need something that fancy at the equipment.

If you won't be doing whole house, check out the offerings from Panamax (and Monster as well) at www.powersystemsdirect.com

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I'd guess that at that price you're looking at some kind of device that's intended to occupy rack space and probably also has capabilities like, sequenced turn on, switched/unswitched outlets, amp triggers, along with some sort of surge protection along with EMI/RFI filtering. Now if that's what you're looking for, it will cost you a bit of cash. However, if all you want is some basic surge protection along with some EMI/RFI filtering and your intent is simply to place the unit in back of your equipment and run the cords to it, then it gets considerably less expensive. In that case you can consider the Panamax Max line, or the Stratitec (~$20). It's always best to have a whole house protection unit but if you're not going to get that or can't, then look for surge protectors with the highest amount of joules available. Brand isn't so important as making sure you've got inputs for everything including the cable.

Iver

Second Unit
Who said you needed these items?

There's no need to supply your HT products with "premium" A/C.

Your electronics gear is designed to operate from standard wall current. Power supplies, by design, convert A/C to flat-line D/C, which means it's as conditioned as it's ever going to get. If the power supply wasn't doing this, you would hear a hum from your audio equipment.

I suggest you just plug your components into the wall and see if everything functions properly. In most cases, everything will function properly, or at least up until one day after the warranty expires on any individual piece of gear. If lightning strikes are likely where you live, get a surge protector.

As for the DVI cable, there will be no functional difference between one DVI cable and another. Make sure the DVI cable is designed for your type of connection (there is an older DVI spec used for computer video cards).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks