What's new

Some Twilight Time Discs No Longer Playing (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Well, both my The Robe BD and my Come to the Stable MOD went looneybins after a few years, oddly right around Christmas. I had a Criterion Matter of Life and Death freeze up the day I bought it. Barnes and Noble exchanged it no problem. New one fine so far. So, seems to me that good discs can go bad in time, sort of like my nephew did.

My copy of The Robe froze up with 10 minutes to play.. Another blu ray bites the dust.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Could the ways in which we store our collections also factor into the reported "Freeze" and "Disc Rot" problems?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It can sometimes be caused by the cases themselves. Many of my Warner Blu-rays that have failed over the years the inside of the case had a smeary coating that made the case appear foggy. I now wipe the inside of my cases with an alcohol prep pad if I see any fogging whatsoever. Sadly, I've been seeing this fog on brand new releases right out of the shrink wrap!

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Watched Twilight Time "Experiment In Terror" all the way through with no freezing issues on my Oppo 103. I never realized until now how much this movie influenced Dirty Harry. I was previously having occasional playback problems on this same very lightly used Oppo player that eventually ended up with no disc playing in it. It stopped loading discs, giving a no disc error message. After some research, I learned the disc drives in these Oppo players are Sony Playstation drives and according to some opinions, the laser modules are prone to failure. I bought a new module, installed it and no more problems...so far.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My Pal Joey played perfectly on my Oppo 203. But that is a very modern model Oppo. Haven't tried it on my old model ... the BDP 85. But I can't see why it wouldn't work on both, unless it was a firmware issue rather than a manufacturing defect.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
My Pal Joey played perfectly on my Oppo 203. But that is a very modern model Oppo. Haven't tried it on my old model ... the BDP 85. But I can't see why it wouldn't work on both, unless it was a firmware issue rather than a manufacturing defect.
Look very very well. To see where the Disc itself was made..China! I'm talking about the Disc itself. Not who put the movie on the disc.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think Twilight Time was using Cinram at that time. They were in Alabama. Or Technicolor, who was also in the USA.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
[email protected] post: 4721453 said:
Look very very well. To see where the Disc itself was made..China! I'm talking about the Disc itself. Not who put the movie on the disc.

I think Twilight Time was using Cinram at that time. They were in Alabama. Or Technicolor, who was also in the USA.

I'm still a bit iffy about the China connection about whether you are talking about the actual physical disc, the replication plant that produced the finished product, or the Company that produced the Files. I think it's clearly not the 1st 2 since I dont think any US discs from any studio using any of the Chinese Replication facilities. I think Peter is 100% on the TT disc replication and we know TT;s part of the work has nothing to do with the actual Disc Stability.

So far it appears to be general and isn't a specific disc, particular production month, or a brand of player that has been repeatedly a problem. Everything so far appears to be isolated to random discs though the cluster of several in a single person's possession is bothersome.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I'm still a bit iffy about the China connection about whether you are talking about the actual physical disc, the replication plant that produced the finished product, or the Company that produced the Files. I think it's clearly not the 1st 2 since I dont think any US discs from any studio using any of the Chinese Replication facilities. I think Peter is 100% on the TT disc replication and we know TT;s part of the work has nothing to do with the actual Disc Stability.

So far it appears to be general and isn't a specific disc, particular production month, or a brand of player that has been repeatedly a problem. Everything so far appears to be isolated to random discs though the cluster of several in a single person's possession is bothersome.

Just watch them good. I have had a few that have had. Disc rot. 95% of the disc come from China & Mexico. Now the ones from China. Think how long it take them to get here on the boat? And the Hot & Cold ect. Does not help the disc any. The ones from Mexico may be a bit better?
Also. The Co that puts the movie on the disc. That has all kinds of stuff do with it. I did see photo of a co in Mexico. Had all kinds of Disc sitting out side in the rain. In big contaners. Getting ready to ship to the USA. You never know. It's all about MONEY now.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I'm still no clearer what China means in this context -- I'm actually completely baffled to be honest

An specific example, name of a company, specific disc, manfacturing center or process maybe ?

I don't think I've ever seen a DVD or Blu-ray that was manufactured in China.

Not a US commercial Blu-ray anyway.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
i cant see with a microscope and mention on any disc of country of manufacture stamped in the rim - Just codes . On the boxes sometimes not always they write "made in ......."

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Bumping this thread to note that my copy of Major Dundee - the disc that has the extended cut - freezes up around the 70 minute mark. I haven't seen any problems with the theatrical cut disc, but still, I haven't yet tried it on another Blu-ray player, so it requires a little more investigating. Anyone else have problems with this particular title?

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Bumping this thread to note that my copy of Major Dundee - the disc that has the extended cut - freezes up around the 70 minute mark. I haven't seen any problems with the theatrical cut disc, but still, I haven't yet tried it on another Blu-ray player, so it requires a little more investigating. Anyone else have problems with this particular title?

Just a follow up here; I just tested restarting from the point where it freezes and it seems to work fine.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I know this isnt TT released but here's another one of these oddities, I was watching Criterions Kiss Me Deadly and on my Samsung UHD player it locked up at Chapter 12 with it jump cutting for the ENTIRE chapter. I found out it was a layer issue or something like that. Anyhoo, I played it on my Sony UHD player and NO problems at all.
I guess it helps to have multiple players
For the money we spend on our movies , this shouldn't be happening at all ! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks