What's new

Some Twilight Time Discs No Longer Playing (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Any disc can have a defect, not just stuff from TT. There is no epidemic of faulty TT discs. Maybe you guys should just let this thread drop.

No it's not only TT discs. My copy of the restored My Fair Lady froze and that really bothered me... waited until the same release was reduced to $10 and bought a second copy. Thankfully the new disc does not exhibit the same problems.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well, both my The Robe BD and my Come to the Stable MOD went looneybins after a few years, oddly right around Christmas. I had a Criterion Matter of Life and Death freeze up the day I bought it. Barnes and Noble exchanged it no problem. New one fine so far. So, seems to me that good discs can go bad in time, sort of like my nephew did.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Are these reports giving anyone else pause about buying Twilight Time releases? [...]
No.
Nope.
Non-whatsoever.
Zero need for pause.

I've been purchasing from Twilight Time since 2013. I have not experienced any issues. Am I interested in this thread? You bet, as maintenance, trouble-shooting and being watchful is always important; but Twilight Time is a top-tier, real-deal, reputable circle of folks who stands by every aspect of their work. Do I believe JohnMor? No reasons not to. But, the more data supplied the closer to an answer. I am certain that once JohnMor formally contacts Twilight Time that they, too, will take legitimate interests and want to investigate; as this can only prove to be beneficial for all.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
No.
Nope.
Non-whatsoever.
Zero need for pause.

I've been purchasing from Twilight Time since 2013. I have not experienced any issues. Am I interested in this thread? You bet, as maintenance, trouble-shooting and being watchful is always important; but Twilight Time is a top-tier, real-deal, reputable circle of folks who stands by every aspect of their work. Do I believe JohnMor? No reasons not to. But, the more data supplied the closer to an answer. I am certain that once JohnMor formally contacts Twilight Time that they, too, will take legitimate interests and want to investigate; as this can only prove to be beneficial for all.

TT is absolutely TOP TIER. I’ve been buying from them since Bell, Book and Candle was released in April 2012. This certainly is not their fault, even if there is a wider problem, and I suspect there is. I own about 70-75% of their entire catalogue. The saddest part is the out-of-print discs. Even though some have now been released by other labels, many have not. Owning over 3,500 discs, I expect to find some stop working at some point. I don’t expect them to all come from the same label within a very brief span of time. Prior to this I had exactly 1 disc fail, Criterion’s original dvd of A Night to Remember, which they told me had a known rot issue and they replaced it promptly, but it wasn’t a limited run and was still in print. It’s a built-in pitfall of the hobby. But statistically, they should be more evenly spread out among the labels in my collection.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don’t expect them to all come from the same label within a very brief span of time.
That's what would lead me to think it's likely a player issue, perhaps related to a firmware update that somehow has altered how the player interacts with those particular discs.

Have you been able to try these discs on a different player?

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
TT has not given me any freeze issues, but Fox releases have. I have gone through more than one copy of SOUND OF MUSIC---HELLO DOLLY and WEST SIDE STORY with the same freeze issues. My player has never given me any problems with any other disc.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How does that work? Are they allowed to offer replacements for out of print discs?

As I understand it they have some 'spares' that can't be sold per contract including many of the OOS items. Some are for replacement of damaged copies, some have been used for promo signed copies, some have been given to Interview sources as a gift (Tom Holland). After those are gone then there is an insurmountable issue

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
I've had a few titles (NOT Twilight Time) in my collection develop something called "disc rot". But in that case, usually the disc cannot be read by a Blu-ray player at all. A few Criterions had this problem (and they admitted manufacturing flaws in a few 'batches'), and at least one foreign disc ("Danton") stopped working and had this problem.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Over the last couple of weeks I have found that 3 of my Twilight Time discs all freeze up at about the 2/3 mark and quit paying entirely. Nothing after that point will play, even via Scene Select when I start the discs over. They are Experiment in Terror, Body Double and Nicholas and Alexandra (the extras no longer play on this title either). I have played them all through multiple times in the past, so it has just started happening. And it doesn’t seem to be happening on any other label’s discs. Haven’t encountered a single glitch except on the Twilight Time ones. I’m almost scared to put in another TT favorite for fear it will join the pile of coasters.
I know nothing in life is guaranteed, but I’ve invested a lot in buying nearly all the TT titles and I hope they’re not going to all (or even many) cease playing soon. Especially when they’re out of print. I shrugged off the first one as bad luck, but when 2 more joined it in quick succession I’m starting to worry.

Is anybody else experiencing any issues?

My PICNIC disc starting freezing during the last 15 minutes. Paid $30 for it from Screen Archives. Tried cleaning it, but still freezes. I contacted Twilight Time directly, but they said that there was nothing that could be done. Screen Archives, same thing. Humpf. This is the only blu ray in my 100+ collection that does so, with the exception of the restored MY FAIR LADY, which I returned 2 times. Firmware of my Yamaha player is up to date.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
My PICNIC disc starting freezing during the last 15 minutes. Paid $30 for it from Screen Archives. Tried cleaning it, but still freezes. I contacted Twilight Time directly, but they said that there was nothing that could be done. Screen Archives, same thing. Humpf. This is the only blu ray in my 100+ collection that does so, with the exception of the restored MY FAIR LADY, which I returned 2 times. Firmware of my Yamaha player is up to date.

Drew, when you have a sec can you post the model of your Yamaha and I’ll add it to the list. Thanks. (Sorry to hear about your Picnic disc.)

Reactions: PMF

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Over the last couple of weeks I have found that 3 of my Twilight Time discs all freeze up at about the 2/3 mark and quit paying entirely. Nothing after that point will play, even via Scene Select when I start the discs over. They are Experiment in Terror, Body Double and Nicholas and Alexandra (the extras no longer play on this title either). I have played them all through multiple times in the past, so it has just started happening. And it doesn’t seem to be happening on any other label’s discs. Haven’t encountered a single glitch except on the Twilight Time ones. I’m almost scared to put in another TT favorite for fear it will join the pile of coasters.
I know nothing in life is guaranteed, but I’ve invested a lot in buying nearly all the TT titles and I hope they’re not going to all (or even many) cease playing soon. Especially when they’re out of print. I shrugged off the first one as bad luck, but when 2 more joined it in quick succession I’m starting to worry.

Is anybody else experiencing any issues?
Hi,
Good chance the disc are from China. And on the cheap.
Just a thought!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
UPDATED: the discs people say no longer play so far are:

The Blue Max 2-11-14
Body Double 8-13-13
Desiree 4-10-12
The Egyptian 7-12-11
Exodus 3-15-16
Experiment in Terror 1-15-13
Follow That Dream 8-11-14
Nicholas and Alexandra 2-12-13
Pal Joey 2-14-12
Picnic 1-17-12

And the known players people have are:

Oppo BDP-105
Pioneer BDP-320
Yamaha BD-S677

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
UPDATED: the discs people say no longer play so far are:

The Blue Max 2-11-14
Body Double 8-13-13
Desiree 4-10-12
The Egyptian 7-12-11
Exodus 3-15-16
Experiment in Terror 1-15-13
Follow That Dream 8-11-14
Nicholas and Alexandra 2-12-13
Pal Joey 2-14-12
Picnic 1-17-12

And the known players people have are:

Oppo BDP-105
Pioneer BDP-320
Yamaha BD-S677

I happen to have acquired all of these titles when released, and this morning just happened to present me with some free time, so I said what the hell. I checked each one by stepping through all the chapter stops and sitting back and enjoying random segments here and there. Also did some random fast-forwarding and rewinding. It was nice revisiting some old friends, and previewing the couple that I’d bought blind, knowing I'd want to get into them at some future date.

Bottom line, though — not a hiccup anywhere, and the discs themselves look fine with no sign of discoloration or other anomaly. Player is the Oppo BDP-93 I’ve been using all along.

So, anyway, another county heard from...

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I checked my copy of Nicholas and Alexandra, which was still shrink-wrapped and thus had never been played before. Checked every chapter for a short while and It played fine on my Oppo BD-83 player.

I don't see any IFPI codes stamped on the inner ring. I see what looks to be MWS2 and M1S1 (characters are reversed as read from the bottom of disc). And the date of 01/17/2013.

Mine have the same stamper codes

Lol reminds me of the vinyl days , but then again blurays are stamped just like “mothers “ used in vinyl

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ha! After bragging how none of my TT titles have gone bad I got my comeuppance today. No, not with TT or even blu rays. I was going to have a Doris Day double feature of Do Not Disturb and Move Over Darling. Do Not Disturb froze halfway thru the movie and would go no further while Move Over Darling played almost to the end but during the film's last 10 minutes sputtered and skipped until it finally froze. I tried playing them in my Toshiba laptop and Do Not Disturb wouldn't play at all while Move Over Darling skipped and sputtered in the same spot.

So ..... it's the nature of the beast :( A certain amount of pressed discs are just going to go bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks