Some TiVo/DirecTV Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Holyoke, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I'm starting to look into DirecTivo a bit. Prices on the 40gb models seem to have come down a lot, and me being a poor college student, I needed the prices lower than they were! But $100 w/$5 a month fee doesn't seem bad to me now.

So, my questions.

We have what is probably a 3-4 year old DirecTV system. It's the generic 2-room system they were selling for so long. I don't really know the specifics of it, just that it has 2 receivers, 1 of which we don't even use. That being said, do I need a different dish to use the DirecTivo? (I made the mistake of looking at them at BB, I was just browsing, but as always got attacked by an employee. Surprisingly, he seemed to know his stuff. He said I'd need 2 inputs from the satellite just for the DirecTivo, in order to record while watching a different program...is this correct?).

I guess it goes along the same lines as the first question, but I might want to add the other receiver to another TV. I'm assuming if I need both inputs for the Tivo receiver, I'll need a different dish if I want to add the 2nd receiver? Also, once I have the Tivo receiver, I'd have 2 unused (before adding the 2nd one to a different TV, obviously) - could I actually use BOTH of the other ones (since I've freed 1 up) to have a 3 room setup?

Assuming I need a different dish (especially if I have the 3-room setup), what are my options?

I would record a lot of shows from network TV, and DirecTV doesn't carry my local stations yet (they're saying April now), so I just have a roof-mounted antenna now, we get a decent picture with it. Would I still be able to record these with the DirecTivo?

One last question - the $100 Phillips DirecTivo at Best Buy, or the same deal on a Hughes model at Circuit City - is that a flat fee (minus the monthly fee), or are there special conditions for new DirecTV customers, etc.?

Thanks a lot for any help and answers you provide [​IMG]

Tim

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

4. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

6. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

OK, thanks. Local channels are coming to my area in April, they say.

How much is a standalone Tivo? What is the monthly fee? How well do they integrate w/DirecTV? Thanks again.

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

A 40 hr standalone is $200 after rebates, direct from Tivo. For the standalone the unit lifetime $299 fee is much more economical than the $12.95/monthly fee, so $500 total, no monthly fees. (You can recoup a lot of the fee on resale even if you don't use it the full 2 years to get to the breakeven point).

I wouldn't recommend it to you though; I'd just wait until April. Or get DirecTivo now, keep a VCR around to record and watch locals until then.

The standalone is really inferior for DirecTV users. No digital audio, worse video quality, single tuner, a lot more expensive. It's only really attractive if DirecTV locals are a long time from coming.

8. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks a lot, sounds like DirecTivo is the way to go. Is there a lifetime fee option for DirecTivo, or is the $5 monthly fee the only option? Thanks.

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

10. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

The 40 GB DirecTivo is $99 from DirecTV, $93 at Best Buy.

They waive the $5 fee if you get the Platinum package. It's usually $85 but call them up and tell them you want it for $65 and they'll give it to you. All the channels plus Tivo for $65. Can't beat it.

11. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

$65 for Premier? That's quite the deal. But it'd still be a huge increase from my total choice package for $34 now [​IMG] How do I get the offer? Thanks.

12. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
    Call up directv and tell them that you heard that you could get the Premier package for $20 off for 6 months. If the rep tells you they can't do it or don't know anything about it, hang up and call back until you find one that will give it to you. You will probably have to commit to 1 year of programming, and the $20 off is only good for 6 months. After 6 months, you can go back down to total choice or try and get the deal again.

Stew

13. David Moritz

David Moritz Extra

When is the High Def DirectTV Tivo supposed to be out???

14. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert