What's new

Some thoughts on Madden NFL 2004 (1 Viewer)

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the game for almost a week now and love it. But my main thought was about the 'quick game' feature. I did it last thursday and it came up with the niners vs raiders game. I then remembered that I read somewhere that the game takes advantage of the ingame clocks on the systems and displays that day's games for you when you go to 'quick game' or at least one of that day's games.... anyone else know this? I swear that it is true...

and with the 16x9 question, do you have it set to 16x9 in the system's settings (assuming its ps2)?

-Brice

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I have Cube, and all I see regarding widescreen is the camera angle. The other is visual style : 4:3 TV, or 4:3 Letterbox, I want true 16x9, not that.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I borrowed my cousin's Madden '04 (PS2) over the weekend. Although I didn't get to play a ton, I feel like I got enough to give me the flavor of the game.

Firstly, I am not at all interested in Owner mode. While it seems like a great addition, I know I'll never use it. While I like to put together a couple of seasons in franchise mode, I'm albo about what's between the lines, not outside them.

On the Playmaker control, I think it's definitely a plus. However, the game moves too fast to take advantage of it after the snap most of the time. The main usefulness I get from it is to change the side of my running plays. It basically gives me an extra audible because I usually have two running audibles (one for each side) that I can condense into one.

On passing downs, it doesn't give you anything that a hot route won't. After the snap, the game moves too fast to really use. Running, you can't speed burst and playmake at the same time (unless you have monkey fingers - I don't) and I don't find the trade-off worth it. And unless playing with a very mobile quarterback (I'm not) there's not enough time to use it.

Obviously, this is not always true but I found it to be true for the majority of the time. One instance in which using the Playmaker running is on punt and kick returns. Because you can see the field with more time, you can really set up some nice opening blocks.

'04 is clearly better than '03 but it did not blow me away.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Bert, I have the cube version and it definitely has a 16x9 screen mode, in addition to 4x3& 4x3 letterbox. I think you can't change it during a game. Before you start a game, go to system settings, visual setting and choose from the three settings.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
David the thing is under visual setting, as I stated, there is no option [for 16x9], just the other two unfortunately. It was running in progressive when I once checked and another when connected via RCA, so I am flat out lost.

StevenK

Second Unit
Anybody with the PC version?

What's the online cost...if any? The online costs will help me decide between 2K4 vs. Madden. I'm a long time Madden fan (on the PC), but 2K4 has it's own upside that I wouldn't mind checking out (especially on my 120" projector and full DD5.1 sound)!

Damien

Supporting Actor
What's the online cost...if any?
No charge. Just to be safe ESPN is a console exclusive fyi.

Back to the game, I'm starting to get worn out trying to "fix" things that I don't feel are done well by the game via sliders. It's been only a week, but it seems like I've been tweaking everything with little change. It gets me angry when the computers defense shuts my pass game down easily, then when I'm on D it seems mixing your coverages and calling the right plays doesn't get the job done. Plus I don't feel confident in myself to control my players on defense in any situation...not the case at all in NCAA. The problems I'm having this year weren't an issue last year. Until I get these sliders right I won't be starting Owner Mode, but since I'm still having a blast with NCAA and with ESPN(seems good), this game has been put on a short leash, I like some of the things EA added, but like I mentioned in the impressions things like graphics, presentation, ping-pong running, overall engine, and sound are barely better than 2002 and it's taking a toll on me.

I still think by looking at some of the latest Operation Sports sliders they do have something going and maybe even moving down to pro might be the answer, I tried to be as optimistic about the game as I could, but lots of little things are getting more annoying each day.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Heads up for those playing owner mode, easports has a pdf download of the owner mode section of the official stategy guide, lots of good info in it.

StevenK

Second Unit
No charge. Just to be safe ESPN is a console exclusive fyi.
That's good news...though the back of the box does say there's only a 14 day free period and I will need a credit card to sign up for monthly EASPORTSONLINE service. That has me a bit leery.

Can you do direct TCP/IP connections?

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Can someone refresh my memory on the NFL playoff format specifically how the wildcards and qualifying work, dont follow the nfl too much. :b

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Mike,

6 teams per conference make the playoffs. The top 2 teams get a 1st round bye and they play the winners of the remaining four teams.
If you are the top overall team in your conference, you will play the lower seed of the winnings teams.
If two or more teams are tied after the regular season based on record, I believe it defaults to head to head results, then to overall record in their division and then to total points scored.

So, if Detroit and Minnesota both had 9-7 record, and they each won a game against each other in the regular season, and they each went 4-4 in their division, it would depend on who scored more points during the season as to who would make the playoffs.

Confused? Hope that helped.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
I love the game for PS2, but it has way to many turnovers. I had 12 total in one game. I score almost as many points on defense then on offense. This can get old after a while, but It is still is a cool game. :emoji_thumbsup:

Damien

Supporting Actor
I finally have found some settings that perform well for me consistenly. Just to note I used somebody elses sliders from OS and modified them, so I credit that site for being able to get these. Without them the following sliders wouldn't exist. I'm just posting these here so you can have a good reference to make the game more enjoyble.;)

Optional things:

Qtr. Length - 6 min.(some people prefer 12 min acc.)
Difficulty - Allpro.
Random Weather - off(my opinion)
Pass Lead Sensitivity: -1

Penalty Sliders(out of 100)

Roughing the Passer - 100
Roughing the Kicker - 100
Intentional Grounding - 100
Clipping - 65
False Start - 100
All 3 Interference(off, def, k. ret) - 100
Face Mask - 40
Holding - 51(had to lower, took away almost all big plays at 59)

A.I. Sliders(in gameplay settings - out of 20)

Human

Offense

QB Accuracy - 7
Pass Block - 13
WR Catch - 12
RB Ability - 11
Run Block - 12

Defense

Awareness - 14
Knockdowns - 13
Interceptions - 2(I read somewhere the NFL INT per game average is a little bit over one. If that's the case this game is way out of hand).
Break Block - 10
Tackling - 12

Special Teams

FG Length - 9
FG Accuracy - 11
Punt Length - 13
Punt Accuracy - 10
Kick-off Length - 10

Computer

Offense

QB Accuracy - 6
Pass Block - 3
WR Catch - 11
RB Ability - 11
Run Block - 11

Special Teams

FG Length - 9
FG Accuracy - 9
Punt Length - 13
Punt Accuracy - 9(otherwise cpu. kicks punts from the 40 yard line straight into the endzone).
Kickoff Length - 10

Defense

Awarness - 9
Knockdowns - 14
Interceptions - 2
Break Block - 8
Tackling -10

Some things I've just recently picked up on as well that may be helpful:

To beat the DB drill, you will need to use the strafe button all the time. Always go for the INT(you'll get the timing down trust me)

- To have a chance in making an open field tackle, the strafe button is also very important

- Even single coverage plays get picked off this year(nevermind get returned for 6). Reading the D is key.

- Call fair catch if a defender is near you on punt returns. The penalty for not doing so is often a costly fumble this year.

- Use the fatigue icons on the play-call windows to help reduce the increased fumbles.

- Watch out for the playaction, if you sell out to the run and it's a pass, your going to get burned deep.

- Use playmaker on Punt and Kick Returns.

- Use QB Spy's to stop running QB's online(you should manually control the lb).

- Call defensive plays that make sense. If it's 3rd and 24, don't call a cover 2, call a cover 4.

- Sweeps are hard as it is, but are almost impossible if the defense cheats to the side you are going to run to. This is where you need to use playmaker.

- Also, quick use of playmaker on a hb tackle may get you some extra yards, as lots of times your lineman don't follow the play properly.

I was very annoyed by the game before, but now I think I'm ready to enjoy Owner Mode, but I may still wait until the opening day rosters, not too sure yet.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
What do you guys use for quarter lengths, so far Ive stuck with the default of 5min but I am finding that too short, now that I am starting to get the hang of the game.

A couple Q's:

Im a little confused on the roster breakdown screen, what do the accronyms mean, Act, Req, Inact, Act Req?

How does a player end up under Inact, I assumed it was just guys that are injured but this isnt always the case.

Fun game, especially the playmaker stuff(so many buttons and things you can do :crazy: ) . Having troubles playing defense at times but I am sure I will get the hang of it.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I love the game for PS2, but it has way to many turnovers. I had 12 total in one game. I score almost as many points on defense then on offense. This can get old after a while, but It is still is a cool game.

Madden strikes me as a game programmed for mass market consumption, for the casual football fan, who could care less about putting together an 80 yard 12 play drive that chews up the clock. They want lots of big plays, turnovers, and crazy scores like winning in the last seconds of a game 52 - 49.

I was on another forum and a guy was just thrilled that he won a game on a late interception return for a touchdown. The cpu had just recovered a fumble on its 20, was 3 points ahead with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter. And it passed. What's wrong with this picture?

The turnover ratio is way too high and I don't recall any sliders allowing you to compensate for that. It's a fun game in its own right, but this kind of stuff has to drive football purists nuts. That and the massive cheating the cpu does when you rack up a lead.

Damien

Supporting Actor
One thing I am tweaking is QB completion percentage. I think for me at least the run game is good for me, but every game I am opening drives 12/16 with the C.pepper. The thing I don't like is if you time everything right the ball always ends up being right where it needs to be. So I'm going to move both human and cpu pass acc to 5 and I'll see if that makes things better, and I'll bump up cpu d. awarness and kckdowns by 1, There is always something not right...I also notice times when the computer shanks too many kickoff's so I'm bringing that up too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks