What's new

Some thoughts on Madden NFL 2004 (1 Viewer)

Damien

Supporting Actor
I haven't played nearly enough to really, but here are some really first impressions...

The first thing you'll be asked to do after the intro is select your favorite team. This does the exact same thing as in NCAA where it converts the menu screens into the team you picked colors. The menu's are even cleaner than last years game as well, there is no confusion in navigation or anything. The EA sports Extra's shows off every EA sports title being released(small trailers), and also features the annual madden bowl video. Madden 101 has Melissa Stark introducing a topic, then AL takes over and explains it. It's just like NCAA, but here is my first gripe with the game. Al Michels is too professional and at sometimes sounds dead and you can almost predict what he's going to say next. This applies for the tutorial video's as well as the in-game commentary, which he does a sound job in but shows very little enthusiasm. The lack of the emotion from NCAA is defenitely a downgrade, minor but noticable to me. Madden doesn't sound bad, but it could be better than it is. I'll just say you can tell that they spend a lot less time in the booth versus sega's announcers. Speaking of sound, it also is a downgrade from NCAA. No build up of the crowd during open field gains, sparse stadium noise, and average player chat. In-game it sounds like a remix of last years game, and that isn't a good thing at all given all the time the sound designers had to work with. The soundtrack is a winner though, it is just as good as last years. I think it's played too much in the games...and no football anthems are on at all, a contrast to the games sim gameplay. The options aren't much different, but you do have the choice of an accelerated clock.

Graphics - Some more details in player models...the big guys look different then the rb frame wise. The attempt to get up to ESPN by adding dreadlocks etc hanging out of the helmets is laughable though. Otherwise the game isn't much different then last year in this area. If you played NCAA, you won't find much to impress you. The intro's and overall atmosphere and cut-scenes are better in that game. I haven't noticed many animations at all that aren't present in NCAA besides gang tackles. The hits feel a little weak too. The stadiums look good, especially the lighting. But overall when compared to Sega's game in realism(player models/stadiums), and NCAA's flash, Madden is at the back of the pack. One ingenious thing I almost forgot is the playbook does show instant replays while choosing your play, that's really nice to have.

Gameplay - It's enhanced a in a lot of little ways. Not changed, enhanced. I haven't spent a lot of time with playmaker to make any judgement, but it seems to be something that was carefully implemented and it can add a lot of strategy to the game online. The playbooks, just from 2 games, are totally revamped. You can sub packages from the play-call screen as well. Again people with the most football knowledge will be rewarded. The db's play a TON better and the blocking and special teams has been improved considerbly. The qb rush is also much more realistic. But don't be suprised to feel a little deja vu when you play it for the first time.

Modes - Owner Mode looks stellar and probably is. This adds a lot of depth to franchise mode. It isn't just about setting prices for hot dogs, it's the real deal. If you were thinking about buying the game for this, go ahead and do so. Mini-camp is integrated into franchise, and trading players has been tweaked to make it more realistic.
Online - haven't gone on yet(i will after I'm done writing this!)...saw online tournaments in the booklet.
Mini-camp - same as last year
features:
ea bio tracks everything you do, very cool.
Another note, no greatest games or trophy rooms from NCAA. I guess you can't have everything.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What system version did you pick up? Assuming PS2 since you are talking about online at the end there...

Anyone know how many blocks a full set of madden saved files takes up for GC and PS2?

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Looks like I won't be getting my copy until Thursday, but some early reports are claiming there is a glitch on the Xbox which will not allow you to import NCAA 2004 draft classes to Madden.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Someone pointed out recently to me that the players don't have much variety, ie Warrick Dunn really doesn't look dramatically different then Ricky Williams, as far as the player model goes. Sega seems to do a better job of this, has that been fixed in Madden? NCAA 2004, all the players really look the same, except for slightly pudgier lineman. They are all about the same height, which sucks.

How about defensive playbooks? Is there just one, or does each team have their own defensive plays, and not formations they don't use? (Steelers shouldn't run a 4-3 for instance).

I'll be picking up my copy this afternoon, just curious for now :). I'm getting the PS2 version as well, for the online play. Tempted by the PC one, but PC games have no resale value on eBay.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Hmm I hope that xbox glitch isn't in there since I was going to get madden today for xbox because I have NCAA for xbox. I was weighing online play vs roster importing and hard drive. I figure I'll get my online play from ESPN. But if I can't import I may just go ps2 for madden.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Hooray!

My copy's coming from FedEx today. And I paid nothing extra for shipping.

Oh, I just can't wait for Saturday...my new 61" Samsung DLP set is arriving. I'll be in widescreen football heaven.

(then I'll have to get ESPN football for XBox to see 720p!)

I'll post my impressions, being a former Sega-only purchaser.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Someone pointed out recently to me that the players don't have much variety, ie Warrick Dunn really doesn't look dramatically different then Ricky Williams, as far as the player model goes. Sega seems to do a better job of this, has that been fixed in Madden? NCAA 2004, all the players really look the same, except for slightly pudgier lineman. They are all about the same height, which sucks
That's a better word, pudiger. But to me it looks a ton better than the big headed bobble head guys from last year. Some players look somewhat like there counterparts, although nothing close to the ESPN series. For instance height is taken to account when catching balls...TO is a bitch to cover 1 on 1(impossible) since he just snags it from the air every time.

I logged on online, and lost because I choked on a 43 yard FG(hooked left) that would of won it. One key difference I notice is no instant replays at all online, and you CAN'T look at the formation at all like you can in NCAA.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Quick thoughts:

Graphically, this game is much better than last year's, IMHO.

Gameplay-wise, not much has changed. But I like how you can audible your WR to run a slant route now. That's pretty cool.

And...did they reuse the Cheerleader Cards from last year?? Unacceptable.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
and you CAN'T look at the formation at all like you can in NCAA.
I assume you mean that you can see the formation of the other player when calling your play in NCAA? If so, that's a pain. You should basic personal information, but not formation.

Great about the playbooks, sounds very good. One of the things that has bothered me from year to year.

I'll wait on the players, sounds like they are improved. I'd like a combo of the two games. ESPN has players that have spent to much time at the gym (Jeff Garcia doesn't have the arms his in game ESPN counterpart does for example).

No online replays is to bad, but could be abused. I miss them in NCAA though.

Game sounds great, can't wait!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just picked it up today for PS2 at best buy. They had a ton in stock. So now I get to sit here are read the manual until I get to play after work. I didn't pick up the network adapter yet. I'm not quite ready to lose to a bunch of 12 year olds yet.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I bought the PS2 version yesterday, along with the PS2 Network Adapter.

If anyone wants to give it a try online, let me know. I suck at it, and I don't have a headset mic thing, but I'd love to try it out online against some people.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Oh, I just can't wait for Saturday...my new 61" Samsung DLP set is arriving. I'll be in widescreen football heaven.
Chris, let us all know what you think of your new Samsung. Post your thoughts in the display area. I am really interested to know what you think. I am in the market right now for a new hdtv and a DLP is what I want. I just played Madden at Best Buy on a Samsung 46 inch DLP and it looked fabulous. And I doubt they even had it set up right.
And as far as my very early impressions with Madden 2004, I am impressed. It's not like they took the game and tried to make it something it is not. It is still Madden. The gameplay is pretty much the same as last years with a few tweaks here and there to make it even more realistic. I love the addition of the "PLAYMAKER" option. Graphics are pretty much the same as last year,maybe a little improved. I like how it shows intant replays while you are choosing a play. And if you are into franchise mode at all, the new Owner mode looks stellar. This is the deepest football game ever made. It also looks to have a lot more personal stats. I will be playing a lot more tonight.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Chris, let us all know what you think of your new Samsung. Post your thoughts in the display area. I am really interested to know what you think. I am in the market right now for a new hdtv and a DLP is what I want. I just played Madden at Best Buy on a Samsung 46 inch DLP and it looked fabulous. And I doubt they even had it set up right.
One of the things I noticed about the samsun dlp sets were the component hookups. One set supported 480p, 720p, and 1080i, but apparently doesn't support a 480i mode. Another set supports 480i/480p, but not the upper modes. Maybe Chris when he gets his set can enlighten us and just how well the set does with the xbox. I don't like the idea of playing a 2k game which support the 720p modes and then having to switch the cabling to play a game in 480i mode.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
http://www.maddenmania.com/forums/sh...&threadid=2344

Great news for XBOX users
This was just emailed to me from Nathan at EASO.

We apologize for the inconvenience with Madden NFL 2004 XBOX not being able to import a draft class from NCAA Football 2004 XBOX. This is only an issue with the XBOX version.
As always, EA fully stands behind its products and we will be providing replacement Madden NFL 2004 XBOX product within the next 3 weeks (the time it takes to manufacture new discs). Please contact us at [email protected] to learn about the details."

The message board admins can post this up as well. I know that I have a seen a couple threads about this.

Thanks,

Nathan Fahrenthold
EA SPORTS Nation Community Producer
You may have to register to read the thread, so I copied the important part.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
One of the things I noticed about the samsun dlp sets were the component hookups. One set supported 480p, 720p, and 1080i, but apparently doesn't support a 480i mode. Another set supports 480i/480p, but not the upper modes. Maybe Chris when he gets his set can enlighten us and just how well the set does with the xbox. I don't like the idea of playing a 2k game which support the 720p modes and then having to switch the cabling to play a game in 480i mode.
There are a few workarounds for this, but I admit, it's a pain in the butt.

One is to split the green cable (of the 3 component cables) and send one into one of the composite video inputs of the TV. This will enable me to see the dashboard, which is 480i. I won't want to play games like this, obviously.

Another is to use a separate connection to the Xbox (like the standard connection or the Advanced (S-Video) Pack, and switch to it (on the XBox itself) when looking at less-than-480p material, like the Dashboard or a non-480p game.

Another option still is to get an XBox VGA Adapter, and use the VGA input on the TV.

I am probably going to opt for option 1, since I don't own any non 480p games. Of course, If I were to get one, I'd probably switch to option 2. I don't want to use the VGA input because I'm reserving that for my PC.

Back on topic...the game...

My first impression (remember, coming from years of Sega's football) was a tad on the "I'm disappointed" side. I dislike the player models and animations compared to Sega's games, and I hate, I hate, I hate John Madden and Al Michael's commentary. That being said, after spending a few hours with the game, I've begun to like it. In fact, I can say for sure that this is a better VIDEO GAME than NFL2K3 (I'm comparing it to last year because ESPN Football isn't out yet.) It is not a better representation of the game of football, however. Sega's football games have felt more like real football in the past, and I'm sure it will be the same this year.

I really do like some of the features this year, like PlayMaker controls, and the in-depth tutorials and practice modes. I also like the "mini-camps" that you can do to increase a player's stats. And, although I'm not diving right into it, Owner Mode looks like it could take all my freetime until this coming spring. It's too bad I'll probably never get into it. EA Sports Bio is pretty cool too.

Anyone on the fence about this should give it a rent, and compare it to Sega when it comes out. I know I intend on getting ESPN Football when it comes out, possibly trading in Madden for it. Call me crazy. I hope I can get my Bucs to the Big Game before I let it go.

Edit: I just read my post and I realize it's silly for me to say that Sega Football games "feel more like real football", given that I've never played "real football" before. But you know what I mean.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone explain this 'playmaker' feature? What is it and what does it enhance? Also, does the new online seem to have got rid of the ability to cheat? Quit at the end etc....I think if you quit you lose..

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Could someone explain this 'playmaker' feature? What is it and what does it enhance?
I will try to explain it. It is a feature that you use after you have called your play and your offense or defense is already on the field. On offense you have one specific player that you can change their route. Example, lets say you call pass play and you were going to send your receivers deep but notice that the D called a dime defense and the middle of the field is wide open, well you can tell your "PLAYMAKER" to cut across the middle of the and hit him while he is wide open. It's there to use instead of having to audibe your entire play. You can also use it when your QB is on the run and want to change you receivers route. I hope I explained that right.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
You can also use Playmaker when you're running to direct blockers in a certain direction. On defense, you can use it to change your coverage to pass or run coverage after the snap (though you only have 1 second to do it).

There's a really good breakdown of these controls that you can view within the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks