Some thoughts about the ZOMBIES SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I can't tell you how the SACD layer sounds because I've only listened to the CD layer. I'm moving soon and both my SACD players are boxed up. The CD layer sounded very good to me and I'm confident that the SACD is A-OK. What I do question about the album is the choice of material. The Zombies had three hit songs, which would be SHE'S NOT THERE, TELL HER NO, and TIME OF THE SEASON. Thusly, any greatest hits package of them has to have alot of filler that is non-hit material. I question the track selection of this package.

There are 20 tracks. TIME OF THE SEASON and SHE'S NOT THERE have two versions each. So, there is a bunch of non-hit or filler tracks. What bugs me is that TIME OF THE SEASON is the only track from their last, and arguably best album, ODESSEY AND ORACLE. I just think 2 or 3 cuts from ODESSEY AND ORACLE should of been included here. BRIEF CANDLES would of been nice or BUTCHER'S TALE would of suited my fancy just fine. It just seems that the package is far too schewed to their 1964-5 sound. Their 1968 sound should of been better represented.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Thanks for the comments Rachael. I ordered mine and told Elusive Disc to ship me everything on 11/26 when a bunch of other stuff comes out. I have the redbook CD of a version of their greatest hits with 15 tracks so I could compare that. I assume it has "I Love You" as well which was a hit for the group known as the "People" on Capital records in the 1960s?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Phil, I LOVE YOU is included. The notes say it was a 1965 single. There is no mention of it being released under the name PEOPLE, so I'll assume that the PEOPLE is a group that did a cover of it...? I know nothing of ze Peoples vitch ju speakens ouf. Best wishes![​IMG]

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Yes, People did a cover of it and I did not even realize the Zombies were the original until later (when I had a turntable I had the 45 by People). People's version is better in my opinion. I would not expect you to have heard of it unless your favorite beer was the same as mine, Geritol Light.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rachael: Though The Zombies' "non-hits" outnumbered the band's few singles that managed to chart, I'd hardly call the material "filler." This outfit, brought together in 1964 merely to win a radio-station contest, truly was a talented band. Very good writing in its catalog. And Odyssey and the Oracle was one of the finest albums of the late '60s. JB

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Thanks Marty, I feel much better now, and of course Geritol was a main sponsor of an old TV show - The Ted Mack Amateur Hour and for those a bit younger that was probably similar to American Idol which I have not seen.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Jack. you made my point for me, again! Why isn't more of ODDESSEY AND ORACLE included in this package? Some of the cuts are filler compared to what could of been included from ODDESSEY AND ORACLE. Best wishes![​IMG]

9. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Perhaps the compiler (Steve Hoffman) figured that many Zombies fans already owned Oddessey and Oracle, and so skewed the collection toward material not on that album?

Or perhaps it cost more to license songs from that album, so they only spent the dough for "Time Of The Season."

I've listened to this only briefly (SACD layer) and like it very much so far.

Ryan

10. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

"The Greatest Hits" as released on SACD was a compilation set, the tracks of which were licensed for release by DCC in 1990. It was mastered by Steve Hoffman then, so it was just a matter of him remastering the set for SACD release.

"Odessey & Oracle" however is owned by Warner/Rhino and being as they support DVD-A, there's not much chance that you'll see any other tracks from it on SACD.

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Phil, I remember watching Ted Mack's Amateur Hour every Sunday afternoon when I was a kid. I remember that you were supposed to take Geritol for "tired blood", whatever that meant. I also avoided American Idol, as well.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Var-ey anter-esting Micahel![​IMG] I have a copy of ODDESSEY AND ORACLE on CD (and record too) but they're packed for my upcoming move and I can't run and check the label. It's a shame because I'd love an SACD of O & O. Best wishes!